9 thoughtful gift ideas for the holidays

Mariah Carey is now playing in stores, so we know what that means: the holidays are upon us. Despite Thanksgiving being this week, it’s never too early to think about what you’re going to give those special people in your life this coming holiday season. However, coming up with nice and considerate gifts can be tough. Luckily, we’re here to help. Here’s nine thoughtful gift ideas for the holidays:

Monthly subscription

Keep the holiday spirit going throughout the new year by subscribing your person of choice to a monthly delivery box. It’s always a pleasant surprise to get something in the mail, and your packages can come at the most unexpected times. Makeup, food, flowers: you name it, and there will most likely be a subscription box out there to fit the wants and needs of whomever you’re wanting to get a gift for this season. 

Self-care box

Don’t want to pay for a gift box? Make your own! Everyone deserves a little luxury and personal attention, so a self-care box is perfect for anyone who can use some pampering. Add in their favorite candy or chocolate, bath bombs, soothing smelling lotion, tea bags and face masks for the best at-home spa day.

Aroma diffuser

A gift that can be used all year long, an aroma diffuser is a great way to practice daily care and enjoy pleasant scents. You can make the present unique by purchasing the person’s favorite fragrance oil scents as well with the two-gifts-in-one type of deal. Oils can be sold separately, too, so that’s another gift that could be recurring. Some suggested brands: Anjou, Breathe and Pure Daily Care.

Personal jewelry

Everyone loves a bit of spoiling, and jewelry is a nice gift that can be intimate and special for both the giver and receiver. Jewelry with a person’s initials or name is a timeless option, but you can also change it up with their birthstone, birth flower, favorite color or astrology sign. There’s plenty of choices out there such as rings, necklaces, bracelets and earrings that you can’t go wrong mixing and matching pieces with customizations.

Hanging plant

A fairly simple gift to give to the person with a green thumb in your life; a plant can make any house, apartment or dorm in the winter seem a bit livelier. Lowe’s, nurseries and garden centers are great places to check different types of hanging plants but, if you’re feeling crafty, you can make your own! String, yarn and designated macramé twine are all good options to utilize and there are plenty of tutorials online to guide you. 

Chunky knit blanket

Here’s another gift that you can make personal. Who doesn’t love a soft and warm blanket in winter? There are many stores that sell big knitted blankets, but give your present a personal touch and try to make it yourself. Places like Etsy, Amazon and your local craft stores should sell a wide variety of sizes and colors of yarn for your little DIY project, and it should be so satisfying when you finish it.

Disposable camera

A piece of technology that’s making a comeback; disposable cameras are a fun and fairly cheap interactive gift. Get those nostalgic and darkroom-like pictures that can turn any event into a day or night to remember. You can find them at your local CVS or Walgreens, and you can also buy more film packs there as well.

Scrapbook

Giving the present of reminiscence and remembrance, a scrapbook is a gift that can be given to anyone of any age. Whip out your craft skills and physically print out photos to fill in a pre-made album or grab washi tape, construction paper and stickers to add some spice yourself. Want a simple one-and-done option? Use programs like Shutterfly and Snapfish to include digital photos in a book that can be printed and shipped right to your doorstep.

An experience

Give someone the gift of memories by taking them out somewhere. A concert or road trip are classic experiences to enjoy with someone, but something as simple as a coffee date or a trip to a conservatory is just as precious. Make the time together memorable and special because quality time is just as enjoyable as a material gift. 

@mimi_calhoun

mc300120@ohio.edu