(Photo provided via Musetta_May on Twitter)

Every Timothée Chalamet role, ranked

As of recently, you can’t help but hear his name.  If you don’t know the name, ask anyone standing near you, and you’re sure to be met with gasps and an awestruck explanation. 

Timothée Chalamet has been in several movies that have come out recently, starring alongside Zendaya in Dune as Paul and in Wes Anderson’s new film, The French Dispatch, as Zeffirelli. Chalamet has made some wonderful films backed by some wonderful performances. It's great to be able to see a young actor’s career bloom the way it has in recent years. That being said, here's a full ranking of every Timmy role to date:

11. Young Tom in Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar

This is a good role. However, it’s far too short and minimal. Chalamet does a great job as Young Tom, fulfilling the requirement of the stereotypical “big brother.” This was one of Chalamet’s first roles in a major production, and the acting definitely feels as if it was a fresh start. A lot of people don’t even remember he was a part of this film, as he remarked on The Tonight Show. This role didn’t necessarily require a whole lot of acting chops but, during the emotional aspects, he really delivers, and it makes the film more real.

10. Private Phillipe Dejardin in Hostiles

In another pretty minimal role, Chalamet plays a French private in a group of cavalry members. He only has one interaction, but it is significantly better acting. As an additive, he uses his French, which he is fluent in. This role is minimal, but it adds an interesting aspect to the story for a split second, and adding Chalamet’s character made the group of cavalry men interesting. 

9. Daniel in Hot Summer Nights

This role is interesting and one most forget Chalamet did. Daniel is a troubled teen who goes to live with his aunt in Cape Cod after the unfortunate death of his father. Daniel spends the summer profiting from the unfortunate situation, selling marijuana to gangsters in the area. It’s a role most can’t see, as we want to see Chalamet as a good guy who does the right thing. This role was a bad boy character that he fit almost too well, which is what the movie needed. 

8. Gatsby Welles in A Rainy Day in New York

Gatsby Welles is a posh young man who is dating Ashleigh (Elle Fanning). The couple takes a trip to New York City, where their relationship becomes strained, as several older men and Gatsby become interested in a character played by Selena Gomez. Chalamet’s role in this Woody Allen classic is questionable yet charming in a way. You wouldn’t think that Chalamet would fit the rich aesthetic so well but he surprisingly does. 

7. Kyle in Lady Bird

Although this role is not one of his most aspiring and not even his most lovable, it is one that’s a very good character study. Kyle is a cocky character, but he is one who makes Lady Bird (Saoirse Ronan) become more dependent and confident in herself. In a way, Kyle’s a decent character who Chalamet delivers on. However, he’s someone who you love to hate. He’s played perfectly and is a driver of the plot.  

6. Paul in Dune

His roles in Dune and in The French Dispatch are particularly new, and they’re telling of his growing career. Chalamet’s acting is impeccable in this role, but there is a lot he leaves on the table. Nonetheless, Paul is a fairly boring character, and he seems confused the entire movie. Even though he is the centerfold of the storyline, he seems less interesting than you’d hope for a lead. 

5. Zeffirelli in The French Dispatch

This is another one of Chalamet’s newer roles. This one is more intriguing than Dune, possibly because Zeffirelli’s story is told through the lens of Anderson. He is a zany and wild young journalist who is rebellious, trying to engage students in protests and be revolutionary. 

The role is evidence of his growth in the main spotlight. He can play such an interesting character in such short screen time: only 20 minutes of the film. His ability to make such an impression in such a short amount of time shows his changing ability to be flashy in smaller roles, co-starring next to some already very flashy actors. 

4. Laurie in Greta Gerwig’s Little Women

Laurie is a lovable character who, at times, can be patronizing and inconsiderate of others. He’s full of himself and obsessed with material wealth. However, there are aspects to Laurie’s character that are redeemable, and they outweigh the bad. Laurie is a hopeless romantic, and he’s trying to find love where there is none. 

This was a very serious role for Chalamet and the fact that he was able to perform so well told us a lot about his acting capability and his ability to play more serious roles.

3. Hal in The King

This can be attested as one of Chalamet’s first serious lead roles in a film, as he plays King Arthur in this biopic about the young king’s rise to power. The young actor plays the king perfectly, interceding both his rage as well as power hunger in his performance, making it very memorable. 

This role was his first dive into really making a believable character arc, allowing the character to be portrayed as worthless before he steps into his role as king, obviously becoming more of a renowned and identifiable leader. 

2. Elio in Call Me By Your Name

Elio is an Italian boy who realizes he is gay after falling in love with an American archaeologist who’s staying with his family. This role is one of the most serious Chalamet has done in terms of subject matter. Of course, he delivers in every respect. 

One of the best aspects of this role is how vulnerable he portrays Elio. The vulnerability makes the role that much more believable, and you feel so disheartened by Elio’s sadness that you feel as if you’re going through his struggles with him. 

1. Nic Sheff in Beautiful Boy

A perfect depiction of drug addiction and the road to recovery, this movie does a great job of identifying Nic’s struggle to get off drugs and how it affects his relationships. Chalamet does a masterful job of keying in on the weight that’s attributed to drug abuse and how it can completely destroy a person’s life. 

Backed by an equally wonderful performance by Steve Carrell, Chalamet is able to truthfully explore the depths of drug addiction and ultimately provides a bittersweet story that any audience can appreciate as a masterful performance. 

@eifert_sean26

se538920@ohio.edu