Ohio guard Mark Sears drives into the Capital paint during an exhibition basketball game against Capital University at Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio, Saturday, Nov. 6, 2021.

Men's Basketball: Fast reactions to Ohio's win over USC Upstate

Ohio closed its nonconference schedule with a bang after it defeated USC Upstate 85-70 in The Convo on Tuesday afternoon. 

The Bobcats (9-2) held on despite a scoring drought evaporating their double-digit lead late in the first half. Mark Sears set a career-high in points and the Bobcats continued its winning streak while at home.

Here are a few quick reactions to Ohio’s 85-70 win over USC Upstate:

Shooting drought 

The Bobcats held to a double-digit lead midway through the first half, but it soon slipped away. For seven-and-a-half minutes between the first and second halves, the Bobcats went 3-of-14 when shooting from the field. In that same span of time, the Spartans were 6-for-9 from the field. 

The drought haunted Ohio after USC Upstate sank back-to-back 3-pointers to wrestle away the lead midway through the second half. Ohio regained loose control of the lead in the closing minutes, but poor shooting prevented it from pulling away. 

Tuesday was the second game for Ohio in a week where poor shooting cost it a big lead. 

Mark Sears pulling his weight and more

Sears continues on his whirlwind season Tuesday. The guard finished with a career-high 33 points, eight rebounds and two steals. Tuesday was just a blip on the map, however. Sears has scored in double figures in every game this season and scored 20 points or more in four of those games. 

It just so happens all four of those games have been at home. When playing in The Convo, Sears averages 22 points per game. 

Winning streak in The Convo continues

Ohio’s win Tuesday sealed its seventh-straight win in The Convo this season and a perfect record against nonconference opponents while at home. However, each win has felt closer than the last. Ohio’s almost blown its last three games. The winning streak at home is is more than likely to end, but the question remains as to when.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu