Ohio University Wrestling took on West Virgina University on Dec. 6th, 2021.

Wrestling: Ohio dominates West Virginia 30-9 for first dual win

Ohio earned its first dual win of the season after a dominant contest against West Virginia on Sunday at The Convo.

Ohio only lost two individual matches while coasting to a 30-9 victory at home. It started the day on a 21-0 run after wins from Oscar Sanchez, Giovanni DiSabato, Kyran Hagan, Alec Hagan and Jordan Slivka. Sal Perrine, Zayne Lehman and Jordan Greer also won their respective matches. 

Kyran Hagan had one of the strongest performances of the dual after pinning his opponent in the first period to propel the Bobcats up 13-0. 

“It felt really good,” Hagan said. “We didn’t have the result that we wanted against Clarion on Friday, but we made the changes that we needed to make and we placed some emphasis on going out there and taking it to West Virginia, and that’s what we did.” 

Ohio had three wrestlers ranked by InterMat in their respective weight classes win matches Sunday. Alec Hagan is currently ranked 27th in the 149-pound weight class and won by technical fall up 16-0. Jordan Slivka is 26th in the 157-pound weight class, and he defeated his opponent with plenty of finesse to put Ohio up 21-0. Perrine is ranked 28th in the 174 weight class and overcame a slow start to finish his opponent 11-6. 

Ohio is 1-1 in dual matches and will look to improve individual rankings and build a winning streak going forward. 

@imchristosiegel

cs093219@ohio.edu