About 800 students received their diplomas at Fall Commencement on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019. (FILE)

OU holds 2021 fall commencement ceremony

Ohio University held its 2021 fall commencement ceremony Saturday afternoon, which combined both graduate and undergraduate students. 

OU President Hugh Sherman opened the ceremony, held in the Convocation Center, and commended students on their achievements and adaptability throughout the coronavirus pandemic.

Fall commencement speaker David Nguyen, interim associate dean for research and graduate studies and professor within the Patton College of Education, spoke about his research in student success and how it is defined. In his speech, Nguyen stressed the importance of developing meaningful relationships and asking for help.

“My hope is that during your time — whether it's Athens, Chillicothe or eCampus — you’ve not only engaged in the academic portion of your degrees, but also tried and pushed yourself in new ways,” Nguyen said.

Executive Vice President and Provost Elizabeth Sayrs encouraged students to thank those who have supported them during their academic journey and thanked the graduates for their work.

Degrees were awarded in the order of doctoral degrees, masters degrees, followed by bachelors and associate degrees.

@E_SkidmoreGS

es320518@ohio.edu