Ohio forward Ella Pope (#44) goes for two during the Bobcats' game against Richmond on Dec. 4, 2021 at The Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio

Women's Basketball: Numbers to know from Ohio's win over Binghamton

Ohio took the court Tuesday afternoon for the second day of the FIU Holiday Hoops Showdown. It had defeated UMass Lowell the day before and was on the hunt for a sweep against its final opponent Binghamton. 

The Bobcats (6-3) left Ocean Bank Convocation Center with a 76-67 win against the Bearcats (4-6) after a long-fought battle. The lead changed multiple times, and the Bobcats had to get scrappy to keep it for good. 

Here are the numbers to know from Ohio’s win:

3

The Bobcats received their first technical fouls of the season against the Bearcats. Erica Johnson and Gabby Burris both received technical fouls in the second half of the game. The Bearcats also received a technical in the third quarter.

7

Ohio went 7-for-32 from beyond the arc on Tuesday. It made just one 3-pointer in every quarter but the second, in which it sank four. Burris and Johnson led Ohio with three 3-pointers apiece.

The Bobcats’ shooting from 3-point range was their worst so far this season. They shot 21.9% from beyond the arc, a stark turnaround from their 50% shooting performance against Minnesota the week prior. Range is something that the Bobcats need to focus on rehabilitating before Mid-American Conference play begins. 

17

Madi Mace set a new career-high for herself Tuesday. The guard scored 17 points against the Bearcats, topping her previous best of 16 points. Mace does well for the Bobcats as a shooting guard, and she is continually improving as the season carries on. She is quick to the basket and drives through the paint. 

19

Binghamton’s bench made all the difference. It scored 19 points off the bench, compared to Ohio’s four. Before Tuesday, Ohio scored an average of 10.4 points off the bench per game.

However, Ohio’s bench didn't see a lot of time Tuesday. Yaya Felder and Kate Dennis were the only two bench players who got time on the court. They combined for 25 minutes, which is less than any member of Ohio’s starting five.  

27

Turnovers can make or break a team’s performance. The Bobcats scored 27 points off of turnovers to help secure their sixth win of the season. Turnovers were also what caused the lead to shift six times. The Bobcats’ quick thinking when the ball landed in their hands helped them wrestle the lead from the Bearcats. 

Binghamton turned the ball over 26 times by the end of the game. Jalyn Van Dyke led the team with seven individual turnovers. Ohio only had 14 turnovers, with Johnson committing seven of those herself. 

@ashleybeachy_ 

ab026319@ohio.edu