Some of Ohio University’s key players starting the game against Bowling Green off strong going up aggressively for layups at the Convo on Tuesday Jan. 11th, 2022.

Men's Basketball: Fast reactions to Ohio's win over Bowling Green

Ohio avoided disaster after it defeated Bowling Green 85-78 in The Convo on Tuesday night. After slogging through a first half littered with flubbed shots, the Bobcats woke up in the second half and had four players score in double figures.

Here are a few quick reactions to Ohio’s win against Bowling Green:

Bad start for shooting

While on its win streak, Ohio became accustomed to building double-digit leads behind decent shooting. Ohio’s suffered through nights with subpar shooting percentages, but its managed to maintain its win streak during those nights.

But another off-night almost cost Ohio its win streak.

The Bobcats shot 39.4% from the field in the first half and just 23.1% from beyond the arc. Jason Carter and A.J. Clayton were the only Bobcats to make more than half of their shots before halftime. Even Mark Sears, one of Ohio’s most dependable shooters, flubbed in the first half. The sophomore was 2-of-6 from the field and mustered just six points by halftime. 

Clayton with more floor time

Clayton spent much of the season flying under the radar. While his time on the court ramped up as the season continued, the freshman still kept himself to the occasional 3-pointer and limited time on the court. 

But Clayton got his time in the sun against Bowling Green. The forward scored 12 points off the bench in 14 minutes on the court. Whether Tuesday was Clayton’s breakout night remains to be seen, but his performance is worthy of attention.

Series shaken

Ohio has been whipped by Bowling Green the past few years, but it snapped that trend Tuesday. 

The Bobcats won their first game against the Falcons since the 2018-19 season. They scraped and kicked to scrounge the win, but the Bobcats ended a three-game losing streak against the Falcons and extended their winning streak to eight games. 

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu