Ohio University forward Sam Towns (11) going up for a layup against Miami University forward Dalonte Brown (13) at Millet Hall, on Tuesday Jan. 18th, 2022.

Men's Basketball: Fast reactions to Ohio's dominant win over Miami

OXFORD — Ohio got the shot in the arm it desperately needed. After its previous game was postponed due to a COVID-19 pause, Ohio returned to business with an 86-63 beatdown of Miami.

The Bobcats’ usual slack in the second half that often led to it cutting games close was gone. They stormed ahead of the RedHawks from tipoff and never looked back. After a stint of close games, Ohio got to let off steam in the “Battle of the Bricks.”

Here are a few quick reactions to Ohio’s domination of Miami:

Big half for Ben Vander Plas

Vander Plas hit a minor cold streak in early December that he’s only began to shake over the last two weeks. Tuesday’s game was another bolster to the redshirt senior’s recent hot streak.

In the first half alone, Vander Plas shot 72.7% from field and scored 20 points. He scored as much as Miami’s top four scorers combined before halftime. He also went 4-of-7 from 3-point range, which capped off his best performance in a first half this season.

Shooting at its best

Ohio shot one of its best game of the season. It ended the night shooting 50.9% from the field and sank 13 3-pointers, its most since its win over Belmont in early November.

The Bobcats have been accurate from the field since MAC play began, but they were laser-focused against Miami. Five Bobcats shot 50% or better from the field. Ohio has been carried by its accuracy from the field while on its winning streak, and it will only go further if it continues to shoot well.

Blowing out a MAC opponent

Ohio’s been due for a blowout win since it entered its conference schedule. It’s become accustomed to amassing double-digits leads in the first half and then playing damage control after the break. 

But not Tuesday.

The Bobcats controlled the floor from tipoff. They put their foot on the gas and led by double digits by halftime. A 21-5 run midway through the game only added fuel to the fire. The Bobcats have been without a dominant win against a MAC opponent this season, but it checked that box in Millett Hall.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu