Cutler Hall on College Green.

OU encourages use of KN95 or equivalent masks for Spring Semester

Ohio University announced new masking requirements Thursday for students, faculty, staff and those who access university buildings. 

As of Jan. 10, face shields, bandanas, neck gaiters, scarves, turtleneck collars, masks with valves and ski masks will no longer be accepted as face coverings, according to a university news release

The university updated its definition of face covering under its presidential health directive as a mask that fits snugly over the nose, mouth and chin of the person wearing it without any gaps at the sides of their face. 

The university recommends KN95, N95, KF94 or three-ply surgical masks. Those who choose to wear cloth masks are encouraged to wear a surgical mask under the fabric one. 

All OU students, faculty, staff and visitors are required to wear a mask indoors on campus and on public transportation. Those requirements apply regardless of vaccination status. 

Individuals unable to access those recommended masks will have access to university-provided masks. However, the supply is limited, according to the release. 

Masks are available for pick up at the fourth-floor information desk in Baker University Center, the second and fourth floor service desks in Alden Library and at Ping Center.

@mollwmarie

mw542219@ohio.edu 

Molly Wilson

News Editor