Ohio University 125lb wrestler Oscar Sanchez, throwing Davidson 125lb wrestler Hale Robinson, at The Convo on Sunday 23rd, 2022.

Wrestling: Ohio routs Davidson in The Convo

Ohio’s back on track. After reeling from its second loss on the season this weekend, it bounced back and dominated Davidson 33-9 inside The Convo on Sunday afternoon.

Logan Stanley highlighted the Bobcats’ victory by winning in a fall over Davidson’s Anthony Spera. The senior managed to pin Spera for the win in just over four minutes of work. Stanley has only appeared a handful of times this season, but he’s proven effective whenever he’s on the mat. 

Jordan Slivka piled onto Ohio’s dominant afternoon. Slivka worked with efficiency and wrapped Davidson’s Bryce Sanderlin up in an 8-0 major decision win. The redshirt sophomore’s win was one of four major decision victories for the Bobcats on Sunday. Slivka is ranked No. 25 in the NCAA in his weight class, and his skills this season are only further improving.

Alec Hagan, one of Ohio’s top wrestlers this season, continued his superb season by picking up an 11-0 major decision victory. Hagan controlled the pace of his bout against David Loniewski. Meanwhile, Hagan’s brother Kyran also picked up a win for Ohio. Kyran, who’s ranked No. 26 in the 141-pound weight class, earned a 6-0 decision win over Nick Cambria.

Sunday wasn’t all good for the Bobcats, however. Zayne Lehman suffered a rare loss. The freshman battled out of a tough situation against Steven Newell to last through the first period. However, Lehman soon buckled and lost on a fall midway through the second period. 

Both Oscar Sanchez and Giovanni DiSabato also picked up wins to open the dual. DiSabato defeated Kyle Gorant in a 19-7 major decision, and Sanchez won his bout with a technical fall.

Ohio ended its weekend on a rebound. It was defeated by Navy on Saturday, but a win over Davidson is a step back on track.

“I just think it's a quick way to kind of redeem yourself,” coach Joel Greenlee said. “I mean, I don't think we wrestled our best against Navy. Lost a couple matches, we probably shouldn't have, which cost us the dual. It’s nice to get in the weekend on a positive note and be able to train all week on a positive note.” 

@imchristosiegel

cs093219@ohio.edu