The lack of creativity and vision is appalling and it’s undecided if it can even be redeemable. (Photo provided by @thebookofabobafett via Twitter). 

TV Review: ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ episode 3 takes one step forward, two steps back

The third episode of Star Wars’ The Book of Boba Fett, starring Temuera Morrison and Fennec Shand (Ming-Na Wen), has been released and is staying consistently bland and uninspiring. Yet again, this episode does little to continue the story in a fun and meaningful way.

Chapter three, titled “The Streets of Mos Espa,” actively hates on Star Wars fans, and fans of the previous episodes. As the title states, there is one good thing in this episode, but the bad far outweighs it.

This episode is extremely short with 34 minutes of screen time excluding the credits. Considering that we are almost at the halfway point, it is becoming more clear now that this show desperately needed direction in its story, but is unsure what to do. 

The only good thing in this episode is that this seems to be the end of the flashbacks, the main point of contention with the previous two episodes because they took away from moving the plot forward and didn’t go deep into the character of Boba Fett to warrant having them in the first place. 

Thankfully, the flashbacks are now over as all of the Tusken Raiders have been killed off without warning. They get slaughtered off-screen by the Biker gang that also claims ownership of the Dune Sea. This is good because it means we can now stay in the present and actually move the story forward, but that brings us to the bad of this episode: the plot.

The plot in this episode is confusing and absolutely horrible. In summary: Boba Fett now has to deal with the Pyke Syndicate, who is now the main enemy. That should be confusing for some people, as the Hutt twins were introduced in the last episode and propped up as a big threat that Boba and Fennec would have to face. However, they literally just leave the story after attempting to kill Boba. 

They leave because “war is bad for business,” even though they were trying to kill Boba Fett for his throne. They send out their Wookie, who was shown in the previous episode, and after a quick battle he is thrown into the Rancor pit. I believed this idea would finally show Boba displaying strength to the various groups that want him dead by putting the Hutt’s best warrior in the pit and making him their new pet. But then, they let him go out into the wild. The Hutts, as a sign of peace, give Boba a rancor, which he will be riding in an episode in the future as it was hinted at repeatedly. 

Boba also recruits a gang of children, who all are Cyberpunk themed cyborgs, as his mobsters. These characters were boring and looked extremely out of place in the poverty stricken desert world of Tatooine. They are also in what is possibly the worst chase scene ever seen on a screen. Each vehicle moves at 15 mph in an “intense and action packed” scene of bright Vespa looking speeders chasing the Mayor’s secretary around the city. This scene was so awful that it is hard to put into words; it is something you need to experience to understand that it is that bad.

Overall, this show is continuing its sharp decline into prequel level infamy. In my first review I was more upbeat and hopeful, thinking that the first episode was just a fluke and slow start. However, looking back, I was wrong. At this point many people will either stop watching, or begin to watch it to see how low it will go. The lack of creativity and vision is appalling and it’s undecided if it can even be redeemable.

Rating: 2/5

@Griffinshaivitz

gs813919@ohio.edu