Ohio gaurd Cece Hooks (#1) trying to dribble the ball around Richmond gaurd Siobhan Ryan (#32) during the Bobcats' game on Dec. 4, 2021

Women's Basketball: Numbers to know from Ohio's 75-65 win over Central Michigan

Ohio tacked on its second win in its Mid-American Conference schedule Saturday afternoon when it defeated Central Michigan 75-65 in McGuirk Arena.

The Bobcats claimed victory in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, despite trailing in the first quarter and experiencing seven overall lead changes. 

Here are the numbers to know from Ohio’s win over Central Michigan:

9

Ohio hit a bump when shooting from beyond the arc Saturday. It didn’t make a 3-pointer until the latter part of the first half, and it walked into the locker room with only three 3-pointers on the board. 

Things didn't turn around in the third quarter. Ohio went 1-for-8 and shot an abysmal 12.5% from 3-point range. However, it made a successful last-ditch effort in the fourth and made five of its seven 3-point attempts. 

Ohio is going to need to sharpen its shooting before it reaches the heart of MAC play. It needs all the angles it can get to boost its offense in case its defense has an off night. 

2

The Bobcats scored 23 points off of turnovers, but they locked down and kept the Chippewas from returning the favor. The Chippewas scored just two points off of turnovers Saturday.

Over their last three games, the Bobcats have held their opponents to under 10 points scored off of rebounds. This recent trend will help them as they push through their MAC schedule.

10 

The Bobcats were crisp from the free throw line against the Chippewas. Their 10-for-11 performance was their best of the season. Erica Johnson, Gabby Burris and Erica Johnson all shot perfectly from the line for the Bobcats. Another notable performance was from Cece Hooks, who turned around her recent free throw struggles by sinking four of her five attempts.  

Ohio’s previous best free throw performance was against Richmond in early December, when it went 32-for-39. Free throw shooting hadn’t been Ohio’s strong point during its nonconference schedule. However, there is evident improvement in its abilities since MAC play began. 

2450

Hooks surpassed Caroline Mast’s all-time scoring record on Saturday afternoon. Hooks was 11 points away from doing so when Ohio tipped off against Central Michigan. She scored the magic point to earn the crown during the first half, and she now leads the program with 2,450 all-time points. The previous record had been set by Caroline Mast and stood for 36 years. 

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu