12 albums that are perfect for winter

It’s no secret that winter can become so gloomy that it’s easier to hibernate than participate. The season can also be very romantic, if you have the right mindset. The snow, the layers, the cozy-ness can make the season enjoyable, and it takes a positive mindset to see the beauty of the winter months. One piece of advice that can help is having a good musical repertoire, that you can play as a soundtrack to your life during the dreary, frigid weather. With that being said, here are twelve albums that are sure to pull you out of the winter blues: 

All Things Must Pass by George Harrison (1970)

Best winter song: "If Not For You"

This is a golden, timeless album. Released in 1970, it’s the perfect album for walking through the snow. It’s quaint, but very inspiring in its ballad style. Each song covers a range of topics, and each song is so elevated by the sophistication and musicality Harrison presents. 

Self-titled by Cigarettes After Sex (2017)

Best winter song: "Sweet"

If you aren’t going through it while listening to an album, then you aren’t listening to Cigarettes After Sex. This album is reminiscent and starkly cold. The raw atmosphere of the album is astoundingly beautiful and leaves the audience room to focus on the meaning of the songs.

Sling by Clairo (2021)

Best winter song: "Partridge"

As a very appropriate album for the season, this Clairo project has a quiet and peaceful feeling that it evokes. The album is very intriguing lyrically, so the audience focuses that much more throughout. This is a very relaxing collection of songs and it’s perfect for walking to class in the chilly breeze

Another One by Mac DeMarco (2015)

Best winter song: "A Heart Like Hers"

This album is a compilation of love songs that help to ring in the winter weather with feelings of love. It’s important to have a set of songs that put you in the feeling of falling in love, especially as we near Valentine’s Day. This is an especially relaxing set of songs, so that adds to the draw. 

Capacity by Big Thief (2017)

Best winter song: "Haley"

This is another album that is trill and serene in every aspect of each song. Capacity is both sonically and lyrically peaceful. It puts the listener in a space to think about the intricacies of life and reflect. 

Oncle Jazz by Men I Trust (2019)

Best winter song: "Show Me How"

Another atmospheric album, Oncle Jazz has a very interesting conceptualized sound that features dreamy vocals. The album is synthesized and stripped down to the bare bones. For that reason, the pick reminds me so much of the winter season. 

Lush by Snail Mail (2018)

Best winter song: "Pristine"

Lush is another love song album that’s very different from Mac DeMarco’s Another One. This album is cold and raw in it’s display of love. There is definitely love in the album but it’s much darker.

Fate by Dr. Dog (2008)

Best winter song: "The Breeze"

A very folk-inspired indie album, Fate handles very real topics that are shown in the lyrics within the album itself. The music is very uplifting and lighthearted so this is a good addition to the season if you need something happy to combat the overall feeling the season might evoke. 

Alfredo by Freddie Gibbs (2020)

Best winter song: "Something to Rap About"

This is another feel good album you can chill out with. The album as a whole doesn’t delve too deep into any topics as a whole, but the album does go deep in evoking certain emotions. Alfredo is a good album to just relax with as you feel the cool breeze on your face. 

Carrie & Lowell by Sufjan Stevens (2015)

Best winter song: "Death with Dignity"

Sufjan Stevens is the best at creating lyrically complex masterpieces that can ring in any feeling that you may have surrounding the overall song. He does so yet again in Carrie & Lowell; this album is so refreshingly relaxing and focuses on familial ties and heartbreak. 

Melophobia by Cage The Elephant (2013)

Best winter song: "Cigarette Daydreams"

This album is anything but mellow. Honestly, it’s so carefree and happy, which is why it’s still a fan favorite after nearly 10 years. Some songs are very sappy and romantic, others are good songs to sing and dance to. The album overall is very fun and free, and doesn’t focus too strongly on one subject or theme. 

Songs For Dads by The Walters

Best winter song: "What’s Left"

Songs For Dads is another sappy, almost romantic-feeling album that has some really lighthearted songs. This album is full of cute songs about love. It has an almost nostalgic feeling and is perfect for any occasion. This album is especially good for the winter because we often reflect on the summer and warmer weather, especially those feelings you had during the summer. 

@eifert.sean

se538920@ohio.edu