Athens point guard Sam Goldsberry (1) and shooting guard Landon Wheatly (10) fight for a rebound against Meigs Highschool on Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2022.

Athens Basketball: Athens to face two tough matchups in completing its regular season

Athens will travel to take on its final two regular season matchups of the season this weekend with hopes to finish strong and continue its late-season success. It will take on both a conference and nonconference opponent.

Game information

Friday

Opponent: Alexander (11-8, 7-2 Tri-Valley Conference I)

Location: Alexander High School

Time: 7:30 p.m.

Saturday

Opponent: Trimble (15-0, 8-0 TVC II)

Location: Trimble High School

Time: 7:30 p.m.

Notes:

• The Bulldogs are on a four-game winning streak and show no sign of applying the brakes. With their past four games, they have improved their conference record from 2-5 to 6-5. With that, they have jumped from fifth to third in the conference standings. 
  • The Spartans are ranked second in the TVC I and have not lost to a conference opponent since mid-January. However, that loss was notably to the Bulldogs. 
  • Although two of Athens’ last four wins were away, Athens has struggled on the road this season. These two wins are Athens' only road victories.
  • Alexander is Athens' last conference matchup of the season. Athens is guaranteed a winning conference record already, but a win could secure the team third place in the TVC.
  • Following Friday’s game, Athens will travel to Trimble to play its final game before the playoffs. 
  • This season, the Bulldogs have only won once on a Saturday. They will be hard-pressed to improve their record for weekend matchups, though. The Tomcats are undefeated heading into the final two games of the season. 
  • Not only has Trimble not recorded a loss, but it has beaten each of its opponents this season by double digits.

These final games will not be easy for Athens. If it finds success in either of those matchups, it will be a result of consistent free throw shooting and better ball handling — two things it has struggled with all year.

@AlexImwalle

ai687120@ohio.edu