Here are 5 unique flowers for Valentine’s Day

Happy Valentine’s Day! It’s the day of love and celebration for those that you most care about. While the holiday may be filled with adoration and joy, it can also be quite stressful to find the right present for that special someone. Flowers are a classic and iconic gift, but you don’t want to be too cliché or get the wrong kind.

Flowers actually have a language of their own and can have different meanings. The last thing you want is to unknowingly send the wrong message with the type you buy, so we’ve compiled a list of unique flower options and their meanings to help you have a successful Valentine’s Day:

Red tulips

Although roses may be the popular flowers to symbolize love, tulips have been known to convey the same gesture. Tulips represent perfect and deep love. Red tulips specifically are meant to show true love, passion and respect. If you think roses are too cliche but still want to convey their meaning, red tulips are a good alternative.

White carnations

Carnations show fascination and protection. White carnations specifically are meant to show pure love, prosperity and good luck. Devotion is another meaning behind the flower, so if you’re in a new relationship or testing the waters with someone, you may want to give them white carnations. It’ll be saying that you wish for things to go well, and you’ll be devoted to them.

Pink camellias

On the other hand, if you’ve been in a more long-term relationship, pink camellias may be for you. Camellias represent faithfulness and affection, but pink camellias in particular can show longing. By gifting them to your partner, you can be conveying your love while also showing loyalty. If you’re in a long-distance relationship, sending Camellias could also be saying, “I miss you.”

Yellow ranunculus

A slightly less common flower, ranunculus symbolizes charm and radiance. The color yellow also adds happiness, comfort and joy, so yellow ranunculus is a nice choice for someone that you think is the sunshine of your life. Giving yellow ones can brighten up and bring warmth to this February and Valentine’s Day as well.

Purple orchids

Though not a traditional flower, orchids are still as breathtaking as a regular flower bouquet. Purple orchids represent respect and admiration, and by gifting someone this plant, you’re showing your adoration. The flowers can also convey thoughtfulness and preciousness. They’re a nice way of saying, “You’re precious to me, and I admire you wholeheartedly.”

@mimi_calhoun

mc300120@ohio.edu