True House, left, and Dougan House, right, sit at the back of South Green and serve as COVID housing at OU during the spring semester of the 2021-2022 year.

OU students in quarantine, isolation charged for meals when out of meal swipes

Ohio University is charging students in COVID-19 quarantine and isolation housing for meals when they run out of swipes on their meal plans.

On-campus students are given 10, 14 or 20 meal swipes per week, depending on what plan they purchased. Those swipes can be used for entrance to dining halls and can be used for $6.75 at a campus market if they have a flex plan. Swipes are also used when a student orders a meal from OU’s Culinary Services in quarantine or isolation.

Students who run out of swipes or do not have a valid meal plan are charged $12.85 for lunch and brunch meals and $16.60 for dinner, according to OU’s COVID Housing Information sheet.

Students quarantining and isolating on campus are able to order meals through the university. Students who are out of meal swipes or do not have a meal plan will be charged to their student account balances. However, Gwyn Scott, associate vice president for auxiliaries, said that happens very rarely.

Scott also said students are able to get food from delivery services like DoorDash and drop-offs from friends and family. 

@DonovanHunt9

dh322621@ohio.edu