Cutler Hall on College Green.

OU granted prestigious Research 1 status

Ohio University has been given an R1 Certification, also known as “Research 1 status,” indicating a very high level of research activity taking place within the institution.

The certification, appointed by Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, states institutions in the R1 category are those which awarded “at least 20 research/scholarship doctoral degrees and had at least $5 million in total research expenditures.” R1 status indicates the highest level of distinction for the Carnegie Classification.

The distinction is a milestone for the university as OU is now one of just 141 institutions of higher education in the nation to achieve it, according to a university-wide email sent Monday. 

A news release from the university states that Ohio’s work in avionics, biotechnology, communications, environmental studies, history, pipeline corrosion, physics and psychology have brought the school into the global spotlight. 

The advanced certification will grant OU more visibility in addition to an expanded awareness of the university’s status as a public research institution, according to the email. A university-wide celebration will be taking place at a later date, according to the email.

@JackHiltner

jh396418@ohio.edu

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director