The Ohio University Student Senate holds the first general body meeting of the semester on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021. (FILE)

Student Senate: Senate plans for town hall to hear constituent grievances, input

Clarification appended.

Ohio University Student Senate met Wednesday night to discuss legislation and reports, including the approval of a Senate town hall and body appointments.

The body voted to cancel the general body meeting on March 2 to be replaced by a town hall to hear grievances and input from constituents. Special guests will include Special Assistant to the President for Public Health Operations Gillian Ice, Athens Mayor Steve Patterson, Fire Chief Robert Rymer and others, in addition to student attendees. OU OU President Hugh Sherman and Executive Vice President and Provost Elizabeth Sayrs were invited but have yet to confirm their attendance.

The purpose of the event is to demonstrate to students the inner workings of Senate as well as the relationship with university administrators, according to Director of Public Relations Emily Ertle.

“We are here on this campus to truly reach out to (students) and make sure they are being heard. This town hall would provide everyone with that opportunity,” Vice President Elaina Tartal said.

Interim Vice President for Student Affairs and Senate Adviser Terry Hogan presented at the meeting as well, advocating for student attendance to the leadership development workshop which will be put on by LeaderShape, a national organization, at Schoonover Center on Feb. 26. Hogan also announced to Senate the appointment of Director of the Margaret Boyd Scholars Program Kathy Fahl to serve as interim dean of students.

Senate passed a resolution appointing Ertle as chairperson to the Committee on Members Emeriti, as well as a resolution appointing Katie Hall as a College of Business senator to the Academic Affairs Commission.

An additional resolution was approved to purchase 10 variety tea bag packs for $149.90 for Senate tabling to recruit members and hear constituent grievances. President Becky “Eliza” Ivan said Senate will aim to table at least 28 hours during the Spring Semester.

“We just want to encourage people to share things that they're concerned about, like ‘tea’ with the university,” Senator Rhyan Goodman said.

@sophielisey

sy951319@ohio.edu

Clarification: A previous version of this article stated that OU President Hugh Sherman and Executive Vice President and Provost Elizabeth Sayrs had confirmed their attendance to the town hall, when they've only received an invite and have yet to accept it. This article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.