The Ohio University Student Senate holds the first general body meeting of the semester on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021. (FILE)

Student Senate: Body passes resolution to purchase mini pride flags

Ohio University Student Senate met Wednesday to discuss a resolution about Pride Week and to hear an update from the Board of Trustees concerning enrollment and the management of university property. 

The resolution sought to approve the purchase of pride flags for OU’s Pride Week, which will occur March 20 through March 26. The resolution passed.

Currently, the body already owns about 300 pride flags, bisexual flags and transgender flags. That resolution approved the spending of $232.78 on the purchase of 100 mini handheld pride flags, 100 mini nonbinary flags, 96 asexual flags and 100 lesbian pride flags. 

Luvina Cooley, LGBTQIA+ Affairs commissioner, said the purchase is important because it provides representation for more identities and increases inclusivity.

The body also heard an update from two Board of Trustees representatives, Ellen Gill-Franks and Sarah Ladipo, who talked about OU’s projected enrollment for the Fall Semester. 

Currently, it predicts the university has received approximately 25,000 applications so far, and that number is still increasing. The Board also estimated there are 14,109 current admissions to the university for freshman in fall 2022. 

Gill-Franks and Ladipo also talked about the university’s capital plan for the upcoming year, specifically mentioning updates to The Ridges

The Board has tried positive investment into that site, totaling $27,789,604 spent on making repairs.

Gill-Franks said the West wing and other areas of the Ridges currently in use will stay with the university, but the Board is trying to decide what it is going to do with the site.

@paytondaug

pd162120@ohio.edu