Thinking in Print: In defense of snow days

Recently, the Montgomery public school district in Maryland voted to decide whether poor weather would mean no school or virtual learning on a case-by-case basis. In short, the snow days many of us grew up with may be a thing of the past or drastically reduced. Montgomery has set a precedent for school districts that deal with bad weather on a yearly basis, like those in Ohio. 

For many, this could seem like a great opportunity to keep children in classrooms, but snow days offer many benefits and should be left alone.

Snow days free students from a six-hour school day and allows them to go outside and play, which is crucial for healthy brain development. Snow is seasonal in Ohio so, while it’s here, students should have the opportunity to build snowmen and forts and suffer the sting of getting hit in the face with a snowball. It’s a tradition at this point. 

For older students who don’t care for creating snowy monuments, snow days provide much-needed rest. In an age in which student anxiety runs high and success often looks like taking multiple AP classes, extracurricular activities and more, having a snow day offers students time to sleep in and catch up on assignments. I can recount several occasions in high school when a snow day gave me extra time to go over my study guide before an exam, and it was much appreciated.  

Not to mention, online learning is not as effective as in-person classes. COVID-19 has shown online learning is not optimal for education, with it being difficult for many students to concentrate. Now add freshly fallen snow outside a student’s window begging to be made into a snowman, and concentration will be at an all-time low. 

Online learning during snow days can also put children who lack decent broadband internet at a disadvantage. As we’ve seen highlighted by COVID-19, 19 million Americans lack access to broadband internet services. This problem will still persist if schools switch to being remote during poor weather. Not to mention, snow and ice on power lines could disrupt internet access for the students who do have optimal internet.  

In the event of unexpected weather causing cancellation, teachers and students may be caught unprepared. If a teacher left their lesson book in their classroom, teaching may be difficult. If the school provides students with laptops and a child forgets to bring one home, they may be unable to participate in class. 

Snow days are one of the few positives for students during the cold months of winter, and switching to remote learning instead of giving students a break will not only make the classes being taught less effective but also cause students more stress as they struggle to adjust. 

Charlene Pepiot is a senior studying English at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk more about it? Let Charlene know by emailing her, @cp872117@ohio.edu.