Ryan Maxin in front of Cutler Hall on College Green.

Ryan Maxin named next editor-in-chief of The Post

Ryan Maxin, the current news editor, was chosen as the next editor-in-chief of The Post for the 2022-23 academic year Friday afternoon. 

Maxin, a sophomore studying journalism and publication design, has worked with The Post’s news staff for nearly two years, serving as its editor during the 2021-22 academic year. Maxin also contributes to several other staffs, including audience engagement, projects, art and design, recruitment and the diversity team.

“He's been involved in almost every aspect of The Post,” Hans Meyer, chair of The Post Publishing Board, said. “That's something that's really gonna serve him well as editor — being able to talk to the writers and the reporters, but also the photographers and the editors and even the business side.”

Current editor-in-chief Abby Miller said she has seen Maxin grow as a staffer since he first came to Ohio University in 2020. 

“He came in so bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and was so ready to learn and passionate about growing,” Miller said. “Seeing him grow into and taking on this role — I'm just so excited to see the way that he's grown, and I'm really proud of him.”

In his position next year, Maxin plans to focus on increasing diversity at The Post, both in staffing and in coverage. 

“We as a staff are all around not as diverse as I'd like us to be, and therefore, not able to best serve the community,” Maxin said. 

In order to do so, Maxin plans to restructure The Post’s diversity team and has developed a new position that will lead the publication’s diversity efforts. 

“The world that we live in, it's really important to invite everybody in to make sure everybody has a chance to be heard,” Meyer said. 

Meyer said Maxin’s concept of the position shows the community The Post is committed to expanding diversity within the publication. 

“I think he had not only good ideas, but also some concrete plans on how he was going to achieve certain things,” Miller said. “I think the way he wants to build upon some of the diversity planning and stuff we've put in place this year is a really good idea and something that's much needed for The Post.

Ultimately, Maxin hopes to continue and expand The Post’s ability to serve the student community and plans to raise awareness that the publication is a resource to students. 

“I really hope that our coverage reflects what students care about more … If students feel like The Post isn't running stories that are interesting to them, that's a problem.” Maxin said. “We're a student newspaper that is written by students, for students.” 

@sophielisey 

sy951319@ohio.edu