Tips for combating seasonal depression

It’s the gloomiest time of the year, the part of winter where the excitement of Christmas and winter break has come and gone, quite literally leaving us out in the cold. However, the depression that many people experience at this time of year can be eased with a few easy tips. 

Go outside

Now it might sound counterproductive, but going outside on even cold days can boost your mood. Natural sunlight has been proven time and time again to increase serotonin in the brain. This ultimately lifts your spirits. Even if it’s gray and cloudy out, the sun is still there, which can still lead to a mood shift.

You don’t even have to do much outside. You can do anything you want. You could do something active, such as going for a winter hike or a bike ride on a cleared street. Or, do something as simple as just stepping outside for a few minutes. Both will lift your mood in the end. 

Listen to music

Music has the ability to drastically affect your mood, especially when listening to happier songs. Something I’ve found is that putting on a summer playlist is an instant mood booster since summer songs tend to be happier and more upbeat, overall making your mood happier and more upbeat. 

Dress up a little

As comfy as it is, wearing a hoodie and sweatpants every single day might be dragging down your mood. On the other hand, dressing up a little can improve your mood. Now, that of course doesn’t mean you have to dress like you’re going to a church every time you leave the house. But, spending some time on Pinterest and taking inspiration from a couple of looks for your next outfit can help. 

See people you love

Humans are inherently social creatures and rely on each other for both physical and emotional needs. Even the most introverted among us need to spend time with other people in order to cater to their physical and emotional needs. Seeing loved ones like your friends and family lifts your mood and ends up helping improve your mental health in the long run. 

@alicia_szcz 

as589820@ohio.edu