Brady Linkel is scheduled to show in court on March 31, 2022, at the Athens Municipal Courthouse.

Baseball: Ohio pitcher charged with criminal mischief following James Hall incident

Ohio pitcher Brady Linkel has been charged with criminal mischief following an incident that occurred in James Hall early Monday morning.

Linkel was initially issued a citation Monday for disorderly conduct after urinating on the door of resident assistant Christopher Brown, according to an Ohio University Police Department report. After it was learned that Brown’s property had been damaged, Linkel’s original citation was withdrawn. He now faces a charge of criminal mischief. 

Brown shared the aftermath of the incident on Twitter on Monday afternoon, stating that the incident occurred at 2:30 a.m. At the time, it was believed to be in connection to a racially motivated incident that occurred in Sargent Hall on Sunday. 

OUPD responded to the incident around 4:15 a.m. Monday.  

Carly Leatherwood, a university spokeswoman, said that OUPD did not believe the incident was racially motivated. Leatherwood also said the incident was not believed to be connected to the one in Sargent Hall.  

The Office of Equity and Civil Rights Compliance is currently reviewing the case to see if it is within its jurisdiction. The Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility also opened an internal investigation about the incident. 

Leatherwood also said university leadership in the Division of Student Affairs, Housing and Residence Life and Diversity and Inclusion will be meeting with student leaders from the Black Student Union, NAACP and Multicultural Student Organization Coalition as well as residents to develop additional action items in response to the incident. 

Sara Legarsky, senior director of athletics communications for OU, said the athletic department has no further statement at this time. 

Linkel is scheduled to appear in court March 31.   

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu