Ohio University designated hitter Harrison Johnson (9) bunting the ball against Marshall in hopes to advance runners on second and third at Bob Wren Stadium in Athens Ohio on March 16, 2022.

Baseball: What to know for Ohio's series against Kent State, how to watch

Ohio played Marshall on Wednesday evening, and it prevailed 6-3. A game where Ohio heavily relied on its bullpen proved to be a pitcher's duel for both sides as the game went into the bottom of the seventh inning tied at one. Two runs scored in the bottom of the seventh due to the Thundering Herd's defensive miscues, and it gave the Bobcats the lead going into the eighth. Marshall bounced right back, though, as it also scored two runs in the eighth to cut the game to one.

However, Ohio then retaliated in the bottom of the inning as a two-run single by redshirt freshman Harrison Johnson cemented the Bobcats win. The nonconference win gave Ohio confidence, but now they return to Mid-American Conference play.

Ohio returns to MAC play this weekend as it welcomes Kent State to town. Here's what you need to know about that series:

Series Information

Opponent: Kent State (5-6, 1-1 MAC)

Location: Bob Wren Stadium

Dates and Times: March 18 at 1 p.m., March 19 at 12 p.m. and 2:30 p.m., and March 20 at 1 p.m.

Watch: Watch the game here.

Live stats: Follow the stats here.

Probable Starters

Richie Dell (2-0, 3.48 ERA)

Collin Romel (1-3, 4.79 ERA)

Rocco Bernadina (0-0, 7.11)

Benjamin Cruikshank (0-2, 10.13 ERA)

Individual Statistic Leaders

Batting average: Connor Ashby (.800)

Hits: Aidan Longwell (17)

Doubles: Justin Miknis (5)

Slugging percentage: Ashby (1.000)

On-base percentage: Ashby (.833)

RBIs: Collin Matthews (10)

Series History

Ohio is 6-4 in its last 10 games against Kent State. The Bobcats are currently on a two-game win streak against the Golden Flashes and are looking to add on to that recent success. Overall, Ohio is 18-32 against Kent State, but Ohio has had a decent amount of success recently. This weekend, the Bobcats will look to flip the script on the 5-19 home record they have against the Golden Flashes.

Player to Watch

Longwell - The sophomore from Massillon has been killing the ball as he is batting .395 with an OPS of 1.143, the latter of which leads his team. Longwell, who has started all 11 games for Kent State this season, leads or is among the leaders in nearly every offensive category and will look to continue that trend going into conference play.

@officialelij

ej358918@ohio.edu