Ohio goalie Max Karlenzig (No. 30) makes a save during the Ohio hockey game against Adrian College on Friday, Feb. 8, 2021, at Bird Arena in Athens, Ohio. The Bobcats won the game 2-1. 

Hockey: Numbers to know from Ohio's 7-1 loss to Adrian in the third round of the American Collegiate Hockey Association Tournament

Ohio survived its first two games in the American Collegiate Hockey Association National Tournament, but all hopes of continuing its run for a national championship fell short in the third round against Adrian. The Bobcats found themselves struggling to create opportunities in the 7-1 loss, and Adrian did not hold back fighting for its chance at moving on in the tournament.    

Here are the numbers to know from Ohio’s loss to Adrian:

3

Ohio had to wait three hours to begin gameplay. The game before went into four overtimes and left the Bobcats sitting and waiting for their turn on the ice. The waiting period may have hurt Ohio and affected how it played since it wasn’t able to get plays together from the get-go. 

4

Adrian had four goals in just the second period alone. Every time the Bobcats tried to regroup, Adrian would score, and the deficit would grow. With 10:22 left in the second period, Adrian got the puck in the back of the net, and a little over a minute later, it scored again.

The end of the period had a similar pattern as 2:49 remained in the second and Adrian scored. With 1:24 left, Adrian scored again. The second period was tough for Ohio. Just as Ohio thought it could come back, Adrian’s lead kept growing. 

1

Ohio only had one goal on the night. After many attempts, the Bobcats scored with a few minutes left in the third period. Donny Tehan was the lone goal scorer for Ohio. The Bobcats found themselves down six with only two minutes to play, but they were not able to make anything else happen.  

7

Ohio was 0-for-7 on the power play. It had a variety of chances to benefit from Adrian’s penalties, but it wasn’t able to score on any of them. Adrian had strong defense against the Bobcats even in instances on the power play where it was five on three. The Bobcats weren’t able to find the back of the net, and instead, now find themselves out of the ACHA Tournament. 

@mariamonesii 

mm017019@ohio.edu