Ohio guard Erica Johnson (4) passes the ball to Gabby Buris during the second quarter of the game againsrt Miami at The Convo on Wednesday, March 2, 2022.

Women's Basketball: Ohio to face South Dakota State in first round of Women's National Invitation Tournament

When Ohio was knocked out of the Mid-American Conference Tournament, it appeared that it was done for the season. There was no chance that the Bobcats would be entered into the NCAA Tournament.

But the Bobcats are back. 

On Sunday night, Ohio announced it was among the 64 teams that accepted a bid to the Women’s National Invitation Tournament. The Bobcats were invited on an at-large bid along with MAC opponents Kent State, Ball State and Akron. Toledo will also be taking part in the WNIT. It received an automatic bid after winning the MAC regular season.

The WNIT released its bracket Monday afternoon. Ohio is set to take on South Dakota State on Thursday in the first round. The Bobcats will tip off at 8 p.m. If Ohio loses, then its season will be over due to the WNIT being a single-elimination tournament. 

Ohio last played in the WNIT last season. It lost to Clemson 65-60 in the first round but was then entered into the consolation bracket. The Bobcats fell to UMass in the consolation finals 95-71. 

The Bobcats also made the WNIT in 2016, 2017 and 2019. Their best run was in 2019 when they made the quarterfinals. 

All eyes will be on Ohio on Thursday night. 

@ashleybeachy_

ab026319@ohio.edu