(Photo provided via @nbcthisisus on Instagram)

TV Review: Kevin's life comes full-circle on 'This Is Us’

*Trigger warning: this article contains content about suicide*

This week’s episode of This Is Us deals with one of its darkest topics yet and follows how everyone perseveres through it.

Last week, the Pearson's had a difficult conversation regarding the future of Rebecca (Mandy Moore)’s medical care as her Alzheimer’s disease progresses. Ultimately, it was decided that Kate (Chrissy Metz) would be the one to care for and make decisions for Rebecca in the event Miguel (Jon Huertas) could not.

This week, the audience gets a focus on Kevin (Justin Hartley) in another classic episode with the trio of Kevin, Nicky (Griffin Dunne) and Cassidy (Jennifer Morrison), who are all meeting at the family cabin. 

The episode focuses on Kevin; first, how when he was a kid, he wanted to dive off the diving board but wasn’t ready; then, how as a teenager, he screwed up his relationship and wasn’t successful with acting; and finally, his progression as an adult when he’s finally starting to get his life together.

The big happening in the episode is Cassidy’s suicide attempt, which gives Kevin a wake-up call he needed more than anything. Although it’s unfortunate it happened this way, both Cassidy and Kevin are trying to work through the experience and help each other move through life. 

At the end of the episode, Kevin asks Nicky and Cassidy to recruit more army veterans to have the job of building houses, which would be under Jack (Milo Ventimiglia)’s conception of “Big Three Homes” construction company.

Finally, Kevin’s growth is shown through his interaction with his kids on the flight home from the cabin. He finally figures out how to handle the twins on his own, and it’s heartwarming for the audience to see. 

“You’re good,” the flight attendant said.

“I’m getting there,” Kevin said. “I’m getting there.”

Seeing how Kevin has grown throughout the show has been really impactful, but this episode in particular has something special to it. We get a glimpse of Kevin at every age as he struggles to get his act together. It’s very empowering to see how he went from a teenager who had no hope for his life to get better, to a dad who is finally admitting that he’s getting better and is proud of himself. 

Of course, it’s not always a straightforward growth process. It’ll be interesting to see how Kevin continues to react to his mother’s illness and the struggles with his children. However, his relationship with his siblings and the rest of his loved ones seems stable right now, so fans can hold onto that for the time being. 

The episode ends with an important message, and so will this article: If you are a veteran, service member or anyone wanting more information, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255, 24/7.

This Is Us airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on NBC.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu