Here are 10 songs to get you through finals week

The sun is shining, flowers are blooming and spring is in the air. However, one thing stands between us and the freedom of summer: Finals week. With finals week comes the consistent need for two things: caffeine and a great playlist. 

“Keep Yourself Alive” by Queen

The motto of struggling students everywhere, “Keep Yourself Alive” is a perfect study song. Loud enough to keep you awake, fast enough to keep you focused, all pulled together by the reminder to keep going. 

“Life Itself” by Glass Animals

“Life Itself” is a song about staying true to yourself and holding yourself together in the face of adversity, therefore, it feels a little too relatable during this time of year. You’re tired, burnt out, and about ready to give up. You need a pep talk, and “Life Itself” gives you the one you need.

“Out of Time” by The Weeknd

“Out of Time” serves two purposes on your finals week playlist. The first is a gentle reminder that you’re almost out of time to work on assignments. The second is a chill song to listen to during your caffeine-fueled nights at the library. 

“Dark Horse” by George Harrison

Another song about self-assurance, George Harrison’s song about finding confidence in yourself during hard times makes you feel like you can do anything, including your final project that’s due in two days. 

“Ramble On” by Led Zeppelin

Fast acoustic guitar over a steady bassline dominates this song, accompanied by fittingly rambling lyrics. While it might sound a bit strange on paper, this classic rock track is an amazing song to listen to while working, serving as a motivator to finish strong.

“Harmony Hall” by Vampire Weekend

The sweeping instrumentals combined with vivid imagery in the lyrics make the song feel like pure inspiration, something most people are desperate for when trying to figure out a way to finish off their final essay. 

“Bedroom Floor” by Sneaky Peaches and the Fuzz

Lyrics about living off of frozen pizzas and having a pile of laundry on your floor feels a little too familiar to anyone who has ever really had to grind out work for days. However, the upbeat instrumentals feel like a little energy boost to help you keep studying and finishing your projects amidst external clutter. 

“Another Tricky Day” by The Who

Sometimes it can feel like one bad day after another. This song takes a look at the bigger picture, explaining that while things may suck at the moment, it’s just another tricky day and that you’ll pull through, much like you’ll pull through by the end of the semester. 

“Fox On The Run” by Sweet

If you recognize this song, odds are you know it from the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 soundtrack. However, the overdriven guitars and fast rhythm feel like an extra dose of caffeine, helping you finish off finals week on a high note.

“Running On Empty” by Jackson Browne

This song, much like “Life Itself,” is also a little too relatable. Like the title says, we’re running on empty. The lyrics about constant movement and not being sure where you’re headed also hit a little too close to home for most students. But, the upbeat sound of the song itself is a much-needed boost to finish off the last of your finals. 

as589820@ohio.edu

@alicia_szcz