Here’s 7 things to do for Mom’s Weekend

We’re approaching arguably one of the biggest events at Ohio University: Mom’s Weekend. With the number of people coming to campus, try to get an early start to beat the lines and make sure to get a reservation to places that may need them in advance. Since it’s a slightly crazy time to be trying to figure out what to do on top of everything, we’ve compiled a list of places and activities for this weekend. Here’s seven things to do for Mom’s Weekend:

Have a campfire

On Friday, Outdoor Pursuits is holding a campfire at the Ridges. From 8 p.m. to 11 p.m., enjoy the beautiful nature that Athens has to offer and experience one of the many supposedly haunted places in town. It costs $10, and registration closes the night before the event.

Participate in paint & sip

Enjoy some refreshments and a relaxing session of painting with OU’s Program Council on Saturday. Located in Baker University Center, let your creativity flow and participate in this laid back event. It’s free to participate and there are sessions from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. as well as 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Just make sure to register and secure your spot!

Upcycle and make book art

Another opportunity to let your inner artist out, create a memorable mom’s weekend gift with upcycled materials. Occurring on the third floor of Alden Library on Saturday, there’s no cost to take part, but you should register as soon as possible. There will be time slots of 10 a.m. to noon and 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. 

Take a canoe trip

Outdoor Pursuits is also holding an event on Sunday, with canoeing on the Hocking River. Paddle with your mom for $10 and get the chance to see Athens from a new perspective on the water. The event will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Have a picnic on College Green

Be in the middle of the action and have a picnic at the heart of OU. Grab a blanket, a packed lunch or some food from the many places on Court Street, and people-watch from College Green. The location is also convenient to other places around campus, so you could show your mom around once you’re finished, as well.

See the cherry blossoms on the Hocking River

Take the time for a walk along the Hocking River and view the cherry blossom trees. The blooms represent springtime in Athens and were also a gift from Chubu University in Japan to celebrate OU’s 175th anniversary. The cherry trees are definitely an OU classic that you don’t want to miss.

Have dinner at the Star of India

If you’re looking for an underrated gem of Athens, visit the Star of India for dinner. Located at 128 W. Union St., the restaurant offers traditional Indian food that leaves a warm and comforting feeling in your stomach. Reserve a table, take out or eat there in the quiet and cozy atmosphere.

@mimi_calhoun

mc300120@ohio.edu