The Pest: Better ways for OU to spend $40,000

Recently, Ohio University spent nearly $40,000 on branding decals for the exterior of several campus buildings. The move was made to further unify campus branding and destroy the facades of beloved campus landmarks. 

The decals are placed in arches, doorways, windows and random spaces on the sides of buildings. After students stole the “Make Respect Visible” signs out of the ground, OU must have learned that in order to establish a permanent branding message, the branding needs to be, well, permanent. 

By no means will these decals remain forever, unlike their message of “Forever Ohio.” However, there are plenty of more important things that OU could have invested in to better students’ experiences. 

Here is what OU could have used the money for: 

A paint job for Peden Stadium 

In 2017, the Athletics department spent $1.1 million dollars to add a new video board and speakers to the stadium. The shiny screen must have been to distract fans from the section of faded green seats below the press box. A fresh paint job would be like a shot of Botox to the cheeks of Peden Stadium. No one would be able to guess its age. 

Look good, play good, right? 

Campus parking near College Green

OU does not have campus parking on North Green or College Green despite numerous academic buildings and residence halls. Instead, it has Howard Park, which is used for “a number of outdoor activities.” 

The only activities at Howard Park are during Pride Week when Student Senate actually uses its budget for decorative flags. The gesture is sweet, but wouldn’t it be more meaningful to hold an event and hand out the flags? That is truly the only purpose for Howard Park, though. The space could be more beneficial as a parking lot. 

A Wendy’s Franchise 

Unlike most colleges and universities, OU does not have a student union filled with delectable fast food. Instead, West 82 sits on the first floor of Baker Center with its knock-off Chipotle creations. Recently, OU made steps to turn the deli area into a better version of fake Subway by adding actual sub bread. 

Even though the chicken nuggets may be mouth-watering at West 82, there is nothing quite like a Wendy’s chicken nugget. OU should have taken the $40,000 to place a Wendy’s franchise on campus to rectify the loss of the one on Court Street. Campus has not been the same without Wendy’s near. 

Multiple students’ tuition

$40,000 could have been a four-year degree for two in-state students or one out-of-state student. Think about that.

OU wants to nurture the “Agents of change” and claims the “Best way to learn business is to do business.” However people cannot be “Students now, alumni later, and Bobcats forever” if OU’s leaders don’t start thinking and making changes. 

The Pest is a satirical column and does not reflect the views of The Post.