Here’s how The Beat staff will be spending the summer

Summer was the bane of everyone's existence as a child. Between lemonade stands and swimming so long that one begins to prune, the season was a time of simplicity. Though there is a certain degree of nostalgia associated with summertime, it is candidly not the same as it once was. Now, summer can be seen as something to dread. For students at Ohio University, it means leaving behind the beloved city of Athens for three whole months and all of the people who make it so special. 

On the other hand, summer serves as a break from obligations, papers and exams, which is something worth celebrating. With the right mindset, planned vacations and road trips, summer can still be like the ones associated with childhood. 

If you need some inspiration, here is how our staff will be spending the summer season: 

Moving to Los Angeles

73 long internship applications later, I was finally offered a position with NBCUniversal's KNBC's "Today in LA" show in sunny Southern California. To say I am over the moon excited about gaining valuable experience in the journalism field is an understatement. It still seems surreal to think I will move across the country in just a few short weeks. When I am not working, I intend on immersing myself in the city. I plan on visiting all of the Los Angeles "must-sees" such as the Hollywood Sign, the Griffith Observatory, the public art "Urban Light," Santa Monica Pier, Rodeo Drive and an endless amount of other bucket list items. Until I hop off the plane at LAX, I can be found soaking up the remaining days with my family and best friends and planning my younger brother's high school graduation party. LA here I come! -Emma Dollenmayer  

Internship with Cleveland Magazine and LOTS of concerts

This summer, I will be interning with Cleveland Magazine, which has been a dream of mine since I first learned of the opportunity this past winter. I'm excited to work in a city that I love and to grow as a writer. I will most likely be driving around Cleveland during the week, but I'm not complaining at all. I'm also super hyped to see Halsey, Wallows and OneRepublic live this summer, as they are all artists I've been dying to see in concert since I was in middle school. Overall, it's going to be an eventful and engaging summer! -Grace Koennecke

Heading out to the West Coast

Although the main reason for travel is because of a family friend's wedding, my family and I will spend some time on the West Coast while we're at it. We're flying into Seattle, since my parents lived there together when they were younger before visiting Portland, Oregon. I have a session for my first ever tattoo there, so I'm very excited about that! The wedding is at the border of Washington and Oregon. After that, we're driving to San Francisco. The drive is about ten hours, but we're planning on stopping along the way to see the Redwood Forest, Napa Valley and other vacation spots as well. -Mimi Calhoun

Heading out to the East Coast and gaming

This summer, I find myself playing more video games than I did during the school year. Discord has become a social media platform I use more than Reddit. Late nights playing Minecraft with my friends and meeting friends' significant others have brought me joy. In June, I'm headed out to Boston to see my uncle and aunt on my dad's side for the first time in over 10 years. I'll also be meeting my cousins in grade school now; It's rather weird to think I haven't met them before. I'm also hoping to catch New York City while I'm traveling. I'm in for new friends, exciting adventures, late-night video game sessions, and much-needed time with family this summer. -William Troyer

Vacation with friends

For the past two summers, my hometown friends and I have been vacationing together. They are spur-of-the-moment trips where we find a cheap motel or Airbnb and find stuff to do when we get there. The first vacation we went on was to Carolina Beach in North Carolina and it was so memorable that we decided to go back again. My friends and I have had a difficult year so I am excited to have a much-needed, mostly unplanned vacation with them. -Logan Humphrey

Going to Ireland to visit family

Right before the COVID-19 pandemic hit, I was supposed to go on a trip to Ireland as a high school graduation present. Unfortunately, the trip was postponed until now, two years later. Many of my family members still live there in a village called Ballycroy. This June, I will be visiting cities such as Dublin and Galway and staying with my family for a few days. I can't wait to see where my grandparents are from and hear my family members' stories of their lives. It's definitely going to be a life-changing trip and I have been looking forward to it for quite some time. -Grace Brezine