Weekender Briefs: Observe the stars, enjoy an art hop

Friday, May 6

The Thunderbunny 11K, Athens County’s first ever ultramarathon, kicks off at Strouds Run State Park, 11661 State Park Rd. A pre-race meeting will be held at 4:40 p.m. before the 5 p.m. start time. Along with the 11k race on Friday, 25k and 50k races will be held on Saturday. Runners who complete the Friday race and one of the Saturday races have the chance to receive a special finishers award. Come ready to run and see beautiful Athens nature.

Admission: $40, or $80 for the “25k Bunny Combo" and $100 for the “50k Thunder Combo"

Appalachian Soup Company takes the stage with special guest Julian Runyon at The Union, 18 W. Union St, at 8 p.m. Doors open at 7 p.m. for this live performance hosted by Blackout Booking. Come enjoy a variety of music, including performances by Brad Swiniarski and Glynn Taylor Wright.

Admission: $8

Public Telescope Night returns from 9 p.m. until 11 p.m. at the Ohio University Observatory, located at the Ridges between Konneker Research Laboratory and the water tower. Hosted by the OU astronomy faculty and students, all are invited to come to look at the sky using telescopic power. Participants are advised to park in lots 200, 201 and 202. Come enjoy the chance to potentially see distant galaxies and far-off planets. 

Admission: Free

Saturday, May 7

An open ride through ACC Offroad Park, located at 4751 Gun Club Rd., will take place from 9 a.m. until 10 a.m. Sunday. Hosted by Athens County Crawlers and ACC Offroad Park, this open ride offers off-roading for Jeeps, trucks, buggies and SxSs. Participants have the option to camp overnight and are required to wear their wristbands at all times.

Admission: $20 per rig Saturday; primitive camping is $5 per passenger 

Athens Community Markets Open House will take place at the Athens County Fairgrounds from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. The inaugural event promotes local artists, vendors, food trucks, and demonstrations. Visitors can expect local forestry and agricultural products, local food and timely Mother's Day gifts.

Admission: Free

Mill Street Blues will take the stage at Cutler's Restaurant, 331 Richland Ave., from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. Hosted by Mill Street Blues, join local blues bands Deuce' n a Quarter and John Henry & The Rainmakers as they combine to create the Mill Street Blues trio. Come out for a lively evening of soul-feeding blues music. 

Admission: Free

Sunday, May 8

A Mother's Day Brunch and Plant Sale will commence from 11 a.m. until 6 p.m. at Little Fish Brewing Company, 8675 Armitage Rd. The menu offers favorites such as asparagus and dill salad, smoked and fried fingerling potatoes and glazed scones and a selection of brunch classics including fresh fruit and scrambled eggs. Celebrate Mother's Day with good food and new plants. 

Admission: $28 for adults, $14 for kids 10 and under

Day two of the Multi Person Yard Sale at Chosen Pathways Spiritual Emporium, 400 E. State St., begins at 11 a.m. and goes through 5 p.m. Several people will be selling items all day in the shop's parking lot, including clothes for all ages, toys, houseware, art supplies and more.

Admission: Free

Athens Uptown Art Hop returns from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. in various locations, including the Athena Cinema at 20 S. Court St., Donkey Coffee at 17 W. Washington St. and Casa Nueva at 6 W. State St. The event takes place on the second Sunday of every month and seeks to give a platform to local artists. 

Admission: Free

@katie_millard11

km053019@ohio.edu

Katie Millard

Editor-in-Chief