Opinions clash outside of Supreme Court following controversial abortion ruling

WASHINGTON D.C. – Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court case that made abortions a constitutional right, was overturned by the Court Friday. Following the decision, people both in support and against the decision went to the Supreme Court building to voice their opinion. 

On May 3, POLITICO leaked a draft Supreme Court decision signaling that it may overturn Roe v. Wade, and many expected a final decision to be made in June. In response to the leaked draft, residents of Athens gathered outside of the Athens County Courthouse to protest.

With the overturning of Roe v. Wade, each individual state can now determine its own legislation regarding abortion. On Friday, Ohio Senate Bill 23, known as the “Heartbeat Bill,” which bans abortions once a fetal heartbeat can be detected — normally during the sixth week of pregnancy — officially became Ohio law after its injunction was lifted.

The only exception to the bill is in cases where an abortion is necessary to save the life of the patient. Ohio’s bill does not allow exceptions for incest or rape. 

Immediately after the decision was announced, around 100 people were already at the Supreme Court. People who were not in support of the decision remained quiet while those who supported were yelling from microphones, holding a prayer and playing music such as “Sweet Caroline” and “Another One Bites The Dust''.

Many people who do not support the decision of the Supreme Court wore green on Friday. However, many of those who supported the Court’s decision wore red.

Janet Barry, from Minneapolis, was holding a sign that said ‘ABORTION ON DEMAND & WITHOUT APOLOGIES’ and was present at the Supreme Court Friday. 

"I’m furious,” Barry said. “I’m absolutely livid and furious. I’m furious for my four granddaughters, and I’m pissed because I worked for 50 years so this wouldn’t happen, I cannot believe the gall of the Supreme Court.”  

Conversely to Barry, Emma Craig, a woman from the San Francisco Bay area in California associates with Pro-Life San Francisco, an organization of young adults against abortions who also work to connect people with pregnancy resources. Craig donned a sign with an image of a baby that read ‘KEEP YOUR FORCEPS AWAY.’

“I’m ecstatic,” Craig said. “I’m 36, and I’ve never known a time that there hasn’t been abortion. I think we’re going to look back on this in 50 years and be horrified at what we’ve done.”

@griffinshaivitz

gs813919@ohio.edu