Fresh Finds Friday: Ruel advises listeners to love themselves; Aitch shares an ode to his Sister, Grimm Lynn releases Sweet Heat

Welcome back, Bobcats, and hello to the class of 2026! As we roll into a new semester, it's always beneficial to have some quality music in your back pocket, and just within the past week, we've all been blessed with plenty of new songs from Bazzi, Ed Sheeran and more.

Although everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

“Heaven” by Bazzi

Bazzi, the mastermind behind the hit single “Mine” and hit albums such as "COSMIC", returns with a new song with both sufficient production details that goes on an in-depth flow of percussion and tingling guitar riffs that also focuses on the cathartic ecstasy of “Watchin you move and dance.” “Heaven” will be on Bazzi’s upcoming album "INFINITE DREAMS", which will have a full tour of the same name that was announced at the beginning of August; the album is expected to drop Sept. 16.

“Sweet Heat” by Grimm Lynn

Grimm Lynn, a singer/songwriter from Atlanta, GA, is a soulful composition filled with lo-fi melodies and inspiring vocals. He returns this week with his new album "Sweet Heat," which is best described as “an ode to all the summer memories (Lynn) held on to since childhood,” according to the writing on the album cover Lynn shared in an Instagram post. The six-song EP consists of various summer vibes, from lo-fi beats to groovy percussion-based songs, all focusing on the summer memories and moments had.

“My G” by Aitch, Ed Sheeran

“My G” is more than a sentimental slow-tone song. Aitch, the British rapper who’s coming off the recent success of his 2020 hit single “Rain,” dedicated “My G” to his 12-year-old little sister “Gracie Armstrong, who has down syndrome.” It’s an ode of his love for her amidst the societal stigma and turbulence that comes with her down syndrome and being different from others. He teams up with Ed Sheeran, who sings the chorus, “No other name for you / Even though they call you by another/ “you were always my G.” 

“YOU AGAINST YOURSELF” by Ruel

"YOU AGAINST YOURSELF" is a deceptively happy pop banger with a cloud of bright guitars, synths and electronic percussion that discusses one's attempt at self-sabotage. Ruel pleads with the listener to accept assistance from those you trust and admire, best discussed by the lyrics, "I wanna help you but I can't so I'm walking away / I'm rooting for you, still rooting for you." He further stated in an accompanying statement, "’YOU AGAINST YOURSELF’” is about someone in my life who has lots of self-destructing qualities." It embodies the feeling of while you may feel hopeless in helping that person, you are still in the background cheering them on in hoping they get better.

“Easy On My Eyes” by Stephen Sanchez

Last Friday marked the release of Sanchez’s newest EP, "Easy on My Eyes," which Sanchez hopes fans can resonate with. “If bones were emotions, I pulled out my entire skeletal frame for this record,” Sanchez said in an MSN interview. The themes of those afraid, learning to trust, and those reflecting on the topic of love are all summaries of what could’ve changed the ending, he said in a press release. The seven-track EP comes after his 2021 release, "What Was, Not Now."

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu