Armani Rodgers (18) celebrates after a big touchdown during at InfoCision Stadium on Oct. 2, 2021. (FILE)

Football: Get to know Ohio's special teams

Ohio’s special teams group doesn’t look too different from last year, but it did have a key loss. 

Here is a look at Ohio’s special teams going into the 2022 season: 

Who’s Gone

Ohio has a gap to fill on special teams due to the departure of its go-to kicker last season. 

Stephen Johnson, a redshirt senior, kicked the majority of Ohio’s field goals and extra points in 2021. He made 16 of 23, or 70%, of attempted field goals. Johnson’s longest field goal made was from 44 yards. 

He only made all of his attempted field goals in 5 of 10 games he played last season, but he was still the player the Bobcats turned to the most on special teams. 

Who’s Back 

The only other player who attempted a field goal last season was Tristian Vandenberg, who will be returning to the team this season. Last season, Vandenberg was listed as a placekicker and punter on the roster, but he is listed as a kicker this season. It will be interesting to see if Ohio starts him in that role or if it will test out some of its newer talent.   

Also returning to Ohio is Jonah Wieland. Wieland played in all 12 games last season and recorded 28 punts for an average of 42.04 yards per punt. He didn’t have a single touchback last season, proving to be one of his most notable accomplishments.

Ohio’s other punter, Jack Wilson, from Lancefield, Victoria, Australia, will be back this season as well. 

Who’s New 

Even though the Bobcats lost their main kicker, they may be in luck. The Bobcats acquired a new, skilled kicker over the offseason. 

Freshman kicker Nathanial Vakos from Avon, Ohio, hit 260 consecutive extra points in high school, setting a state and national record. He also made 18 of 25 field goals over four years. His consistency and accuracy on the field earned him many honors at Avon High School, including Second Team All-State in 2021 and Special Teams Player of the Year from 2019-2021. 

Position Outlook 

Ohio’s special teams group doesn’t look too different this season, but it may be testing out different players as the season kicks off. Ohio may start with Vandenberg because he is the most experienced special teams player on the roster. However, with the addition of Vakos, the special teams may be a bit better this year than last. 

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu