The episode depicts the iCarly gang on a mission to stream an episode of their online web show in a supposed haunted apartment in their building (Photo provided by KissThemGoodbye).

The 6 best Disney channel and Nickelodeon episodes to watch this fall

Sometimes the fall season evokes nostalgia in us, typically because of our childhood Halloween memories. Many of us will relive Halloween traditions of our past in order to fulfill our nostalgic feelings, which includes rewatching Halloween episodes from our favorite childhood television shows. 

Due to the overload of options on streaming services such as Disney+ and Netflix, it can be hard to narrow down exactly which episodes are right to set in the Fall mood. In order to narrow that list down, here are the top 6 episodes from Disney Channel and Nickelodeon to watch this fall. 

“The Suite Life Of Zack & Cody”: “The Ghost In Suite 613” (Season 1, Episode  19)

This episode brings me right back to the evenings of trick-or-treating from my adolescence, which makes it a classic to rewatch during the fall season. Even though the episode was a Halloween special, each of the character’s dynamics in this episode is a direct reflection of what part each of them plays throughout the rest of the show. Between Zack being ready for the adventure of finding a ghost while also eager to scare Cody, Cody’s fear of what could happen if they find this ghost and London misplacing $1000, it all feels so nostalgic.

“Austin & Ally”: “Costumes & Courage” (Season 2, Episode 1)

“Austin & Ally” in itself reminds me of the period right before I moved on from my Disney Channel days, but it still brings childhood memories any time I go back and watch an episode. This episode in particular was a favorite of mine, mainly due to the references that they made to Taylor Swift throughout the episode. 

This episode is another one where you will watch it and be able to tell a lot about what role each character plays throughout the show, with Trish starting off getting a new job at a Halloween store, Austin and Ally preparing for a performance which leads to Ally having to gain the courage to step up for said performance (in order to fill Taylor Swift’s shoes) and Dez being the one to clumsily knock Taylor Swift out. This episode is for sure one that will not only get you in the Halloween spirit but one that will remind you of the Halloween spirit that you felt in your younger days. 

“iCarly”: “iScream On Halloween” (Season 1, Episode 7)

With “iCarly” being the epitome of my childhood, there is no question that I will go back and rewatch any episode, any time of the year. With that being said, timing it out so that you can watch the Halloween episode in the fall season makes it feel all the more special. The episode depicts the iCarly gang on a mission to stream an episode of their online web show in a supposed haunted apartment in their building. In normal iCarly fashion, though, their plan backfires as they start to hear screaming when they enter the room, along with a power outage. When they try to leave the room out of fear, the door knob breaks, leaving them stuck.

Eventually, a middle-aged man enters the room, bringing much relief to the “iCarly” crew. The man informs the gang that this room is not haunted and that it is inhabited by his elderly mother who is hard of hearing, hence the yelling that they previously heard. If you’re looking for some nostalgia that is bound to bring you a laugh, this episode is the one for you. 

“A.N.T. Farm”: “MutANT Farm” (Season 1, Episode 14)

For anyone who remembers the days of Monstober, you may agree with me when I say that this episode is the first thing that comes to mind when I think back on Monstober. The episode is a parody of the show's pilot episode and takes place in a reality where the students at their school are monsters, all with their own special talents.

In the episode, there is a mass disappointment from the mutant students due to the fact that the human students at their school are not allowed to attend their “MutANTs Only” Halloween dance. The mutant students work together in this episode to prove to the human students that they aren’t so different from them and that there isn’t anything to be scared of. All of this hard work is rewarded with the performance of China Anne McClain’s classic hit, “Calling All The Monsters.” 

“Gravity Falls”: “Summerween” (Season 1, Episode 12) 

In all honesty, any episode of Gravity Falls would have worked for this list, but this one, in particular, worked best for the Halloween feeling. As the town of Gravity Falls celebrates Halloween twice a year, Dipper and Mabel prepare to Trick-or-Treat during the summer season. Dipper is soon crushed, though, when he is told that Trick-or-Treating is for kids.

His outlook on the rest of the night is changed by this news, which soon becomes much more complicated when a candy monster threatens to eat the crew after Dipper insults him. Not only is the episode good for bringing you the spirit of Halloween, but it has a sweet message about being a kid and enjoying young traditions while you can. 

“Hannah Montana”: “Torn Between Two Hannahs” (Season 1, Episode 17)

Hannah Montana is a real definer of Disney Channel's reign of the 2000s. Every episode was memorable and is always fun to go back and watch. The episode reveals Miley’s evil identical cousin who comes to visit her family, with a secret plan of revealing Hannah Montana’s true identity. 

Going back to watch this episode will remind you of the stress that many of us felt when there was a threat of Hannah Montana being exposed, and the subplot of Jackson and Robby decorating their house in competition with their neighbors will bring you back to the core of what the show was like in its earlier days. 

@auroraboothby 

ab128621@ohio.edu