After energizing opening acts from Tanna Leone and Baby Keem, Kendrick arrives on the Schottenstein stage on Aug. 16 (Photo provided by Our Generation Music).

Kendrick Lamar bears all on The Big Steppers Tour

Kendrick Lamar hasn't released an album in five years and has largely stayed out of the spotlight. Kendrick is a Pulitzer prize-winning, multi-platinum, grammy award-winning artist whose return was long awaited. When his latest album was announced in April, all eyes were on Lamar.

"Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers," released on May 13, gained widespread critical acclaim. On the release day, Lamar announced The Big Steppers Tour. On tour, he is accompanied by his cousin Baby Keem, who has collaborated with Kendrick on songs like "Family Ties," which won a grammy for Best Rap Performance. Tanna Leone, an artist that was signed to Lamar's PgLang creative collective, is another opener on the tour.

After energizing opening acts from Tanna Leone and Baby Keem, Kendrick arrived on the Schottenstein stage on Aug. 16. 

Kendrick started with "United In Grief," the wild opener of "Mr. Morale." Sitting at a piano, a lamp illuminated Kendrick, accompanied by a puppet in the same attire: an all-black suit with a sparkling glove on one hand, likely an homage to the king of pop himself. 

Kendrick made his way to a spotlight in the center of the stage with amplified footstep sounds, reinforcing the idea of the "big steppers." Through song, Kendrick recounts his experience with grief in his life, and how those experiences have changed through his success and fame.

After the song, Helen Mirren's voice filled the arena, announcing that she would guide Kendrick through his performance. Mirren is a renowned English actor known for her roles in films like "The Queen." Here, Mirren seemingly took on a therapist role for Kendrick, appearing several times throughout the setlist to check-in.

The show also guest-starred choreographers who were present for several songs along with Mirren. Men appeared in dark suits and women in vibrant red dresses, these extra performers added a level of theatrics to the show, making it feel more like an artistic performance than a concert.

Kendrick moved on to "N95," the electric second track off of "Mr. Morale." He conducted the audience through the singsong opening of the track, accompanied by fireworks and bright flashing lights.

We took a step back in his discography for "ELEMENT." and "Worldwide Steppers." In this song, Kendrick recounts his experiences on tour for his 2012 album, "Good Kid, m.A.A.d City," allowing him to transition into "Backseat Freestyle" and "Swimming Pools." He then moved on to the catchy "Rich Spirit" from Mr. Morale.

After a brief piano interlude, Kendrick performed "HUMBLE.," the 7x platinum hit from "DAMN." Suffice it to say, the audience was familiar with the lyrics. Choreographers dance around Kendrick as he raps, and make their way offstage before Kendrick moves on to "Father Time," a diary-like song where Kendrick recounts issues with his father during his childhood. Here, Kendrick is seated center stage in a chair, almost as if he's telling his story to the audience rather than performing a song.

Kendrick continues with his iconic song "m.A.A.d City," followed by "Purple Hearts," a slower song that closes out the first half of Mr. Morale.

Up next was "King Kunta," the first performance from "To Pimp A Butterfly," Lamar's award-winning 2015 album. He energizes the audience before moving on to "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" and "Die Hard," both more relaxed performances.

Kendrick then disappeared into the stage, but promptly returned to perform the trunk-rattling "DNA.," and "Count Me Out." During this song, a shadow of Kendrick with arrows in his back was projected behind the stage as he rapped about his emotional struggle to love and forgive himself even when he falls short of expectations.

After "Money Trees" and "LOVE.," Kendrick entered a clear box at the center of the stage. After receiving a "COVID test" from choreographers in hazmat suits, Lamar performs "Alright," the jazz-infused anthem from To Pimp A Butterfly. Here, Kendrick frames the context around the pandemic, reminding us that "We're gonna be alright," an uplifting message in such uncertain times.

Kendrick then performed "Mirror." During this performance, he left the box and rises above the audience on a platform that fittingly had mirrors on all sides. After the bouncy "Silent Hill" and pop smash "LOYALTY.," Kendrick was lowered back down and entered the final stretch of songs, bringing Baby Keem back onstage.

The two performed "Vent," "Range Brothers," and of course the fan favorite "Family Ties," the highest energy songs on the setlist.

Keem exited the stage, leaving Kendrick in solitude. He performed "Crown," a piano-driven song in which he realizes that the expectations placed on him are heavy and that he can't please everyone.

He closed out the concert with the final two songs. "Mr. Morale," accompanied by Tanna Leone, and finally, "Savior," where he defiantly strips himself of the savior complex both he and his fans have placed upon him.

Kendrick Lamar's Big Steppers Tour is transcendent. All of the deep concepts and thought out ideas presented in "Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers" were truly brought to life through the show. Kendrick put both his heart and mind at the forefront of his show, and left both himself and his fans with thoughts that will remain in circulation for a long time.

zk678421@ohio.edu

@Zacharyknighttttt