Ohio goalkeeper Sam Wexell makes a remarkable save against Miami University on October 17, 2021. The Bobcats beat the RedHawks with a final score of 1 to nil.

Soccer: Sam Wexell returned to form against Miami

Ohio’s match against Miami was the first match that redshirt senior Sam Wexell started this season. In the match Thursday, she had nine saves and allowed zero goals. 

Before the season started, Wexell sustained an injury that put her availability in question. Her first appearance this season was on Sept. 11, when Ohio played at Notre Dame. She gave up two goals on six shots on goal in that match. For the past two Mid-American Conference matches, Wexell has come off the bench at halftime to finish the match.

Ohio head coach Aaron Rodgers has had a dilemma to face regarding playing time, especially at the goalkeeper position. Those questions are sure to have been answered after Ohio’s 2-0 victory over Miami.

“Sam obviously was All-Conference last year and is a tremendous presence back there, Rodgers said. “She definitely was a massive part of our results in (the match) for sure.”

With Wexell in the goal, Ohio’s defense saw a new light of communication and found itself switching marks without missing a beat. When asked about this, and its correlation to having Wexell back in goal full time for the first time this season, Rodgers explained the important role that Wexell plays as well as his plan for the future of the position.

“Celeste (Sloma) is a phenomenal goalkeeper, and she is going to take over the reins for Sam in the years to come,” Rodgers said. “She's proven it this year. But I think that experience that Sam has,  it's just that she's been here. She's a fifth year senior, she's been here and she played the last couple years at a high level, so definitely her experience really, I think, helps us win.”

dp680718@ohio.edu