Abbey Townsend (16) dribbles the ball around a Buffalo defender on Sept. 23, 2021.

Soccer: Ohio splits weekend games to finish road nonconference schedule

Ohio went on the road this weekend to take on Northern Kentucky and Notre Dame to wrap up its road nonconference schedule. After a strong 2-0 win on Thursday night against NKU, Ohio lost on Sunday against Notre Dame, 3-1. Here is everything you need to know about both of those matchups:

2-0 victory over NKU

The first half of this game was a defensive battle, as both teams took only two shots, but Ohio didn't have any shots on goal. Along with that, the first half was a little messy defensively with Ohio logging six fouls and NKU logging three.

The offensive output began in the second half as junior Shae Robertson netted her second goal of the season from an assist from graduate student Abby Townsend. Townsend continued her strong season with a goal not even ten minutes later in the 64th minute. This was her second goal of the season.

Freshman Celeste Sloma also continued her phenomenal start to her Bobcat career as she logged her third shutout of the year. Sloma, and the rest of this freshman class, have contributed a solid amount early in this season.

3-1 loss to Notre Dame

The Bobcats traveled to South Bend, IN for a game against an undefeated team in which they knew they were going to have to play their best.

Just over two minutes into the game, graduate student Olivia Wingate scored her sixth goal of the season. Ohio's own graduate student, Townsend, then responded in the 21st minute with an unassisted goal of her own, evening the score as both teams remained scoreless for the rest of the first half.

The Bobcats felt the pressure from the Fighting Irish offense as they were outshot in the first half 15-5. Eventually the floodgates opened and the Fighting Irish regained their lead by once again scoring just over two minutes into the half. Senior Kiki Van Zanten scored her second goal of the season on an assist from senior Kati Druzina.

In the 52nd minute Notre Dame expanded its lead further from junior Eva Gaetino's first goal of the season. In the second half of this game, Notre Dame once again outshot Ohio, this time by a margin of 13-3, resulting in an overall lopsided affair.

Redshirt senior Sam Wexell returned to the goal for Ohio as she started the second half in replacement of Sloma. 

After a long weekend on the road, Ohio finishes up its nonconference schedule next Friday against Western Carolina at home. The Bobcats look to get strong production from the team and build confidence going into Mid-American Conference play.

@officialelij

ej358918@ohio.edu