Parents Weekend: The ultimate bucket list

Parents Weekend is the first of four family weekends hosted by Ohio University. The university hosts a variety of events for families to enjoy together and provides time for college students to catch up with their parents and show them around campus. 

Athens provides many things to do on the weekend, so bring your parents along to complete this Parents Weekend bucket list:

Check out events that OU has planned

OU likes to plan many events to welcome families to campus, and this year there is a lot to do. On Friday, there will be a stargazing and campfire event at the Ridges, a comedy show from Saturday Night Live comedian Alex Moffat and a Parents Weekend movie special at the Athena Cinema.

On Saturday and Sunday, if you and your family enjoy the outdoors, there is a Parents Weekend day hike in Conkles Hollow, as well as a lawn clean-up volunteer opportunity to help out the elderly population in Athens.

Go to a sporting event

On Saturday, our beloved Bobcats will be facing off against Fordham’s football team at 2 p.m. at Peden Stadium. This game is the annual “Turn it Gold” game to recognize National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

The Battle of the Bricks between OU and Miami’s volleyball teams will also be happening on Friday and Saturday at the Convocation Center. On Friday night the first 100 fans will receive Bobcats for Ukraine rally towels.

There will also be a soccer game at Chessa Field on Sunday at 1 p.m. where OU will be playing Buffalo.

Go out to a nice dinner

Athens provides a plethora of amazing restaurants of different cuisines to take your parents to. If you don’t have a car on campus, this is a great time to check out different restaurants off-campus. 

For a classic Italian meal, Ciro has a variety of delicious pasta dishes to enjoy. Other great places to take your parents are Athens Uncorked, Zoe, Restaurant Salaam, Jackie O’s or Cutler’s Restaurant.

Some other places that are a bit further from campus, but definitely worth your while, are Shade Winery and Little Fish Brewing Company.

Explore different art exhibits at the Kennedy Museum of Art

For families that like to participate in the arts together, the Kennedy Museum of Art by the Ridges has plenty of unique exhibits to go to.

There are exhibits featuring new pieces that the museum has received, a Native American art collection and more.

Spend a day at Hocking Hills or Strouds Run State Park

The end of September is one of the best times of the year to spend outside or go hiking. The Athens area has so much natural beauty to offer, especially at Hocking Hills State Park or Strouds Run State Park, which is a bit closer to campus.

Both parks have many trails to explore with varying difficulty levels. 

Go to the Athens Farmers Market

The Athens Farmers Market is a great way to support local businesses and to show your family what the Athens community is all about. Each vendor sells a variety of goods from produce to meats and cheeses. There is no doubt that you will be able to find some of the freshest fruit you’ve ever had at these stands.

The market runs from 9 a.m. to noon every Saturday.

Show them your favorite places on campus

Even though this is a more simple activity, I am sure that it is one your parents will appreciate nonetheless. This can be anything ranging from where you take your classes, to your favorite bars that you go to with friends.

It can also include your favorite food spots you like to go to after a night out (enter Union Street Diner, Larry’s Dawg House and Bagel Street Deli). 

Since Athens has so many great local coffee shops, every student has a favorite to choose from. Take your parents to your favorite one to get them some caffeine before the car ride home on Sunday.

@caroline_kam12

ck603020@ohio.edu