Easiest dorm room plants to keep alive even without a green thumb

Dorm rooms can be so dull and often require something to bring liveliness to them. The best way to do this is by adding easy to care for plants. Not only are they gorgeous, but they also purify the air in your room and help boost your mood. Before buying new plants, it is important to analyze your living space. First, how much natural light is in your room? And how dry or humid is the air? After you evaluate, finding a plant that will survive in an unconventional space is much simpler. Keep in mind most of these plants are poisonous to pets so if you have a cat or dog, place it in a place they cannot reach. 

Here are five plants that are the definition of easy maintenance and can withstand the stress of college:

Snake Plants

Snake plants are the ideal low-maintenance plant and are almost invincible. Snake plants are also a natural air purifier and produce the highest amount of oxygen out of all houseplants. They do best in bright, indirect light and they do not need frequent watering because they thrive in dry soil. Snake plants do not like humidity, so make sure it has well-draining soil to avoid fungal infections. In the winter, the plant goes dormant so water it once every two months.

Aloe

Just like snake plants, Aloe is very easy to take care of. Aloe needs bright, indirect sunlight and can survive droughts, though they do need to be watered frequently. Make sure they have well-draining soil because overwatering leads to root rot. Aloe also goes dormant in the winter so try not to water it as much then. The best part of the plant is that they are able to be harvested for their healing gel to soothe cuts, burns and other wounds.

Monstera

If you do not know what the Monstera plant is you have definitely seen one. They are all over art, journals, Instagram and more. Also known as a swiss cheese plant for the holes and splits in their leaves, the best part is that Monstera is so easy to take care of. They do better in medium to bright, indirect light but can survive in all lighting. It does need to be watered more frequently, but check that the soil is completely dry between watering and definitely do not let it sit in water. Make sure your room is above 60°F and has its own little humidifier or mist it a few times a week. 

Pothos

Pothos is also a favorite not only because they are easy to care for, but for their gorgeous vibrant green leaves. Pothos loves all lighting but thrives in deep shade and does not need to be watered often. Typically, this is potted in a hanging pot to show off their vines, but pothos does just as well in a regular pot so avoid hanging them because it can damage dorm walls. They are native to tropical areas so make sure to mist them or provide them with a humid environment.

ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia)

Zamioculcas zamiifolia, also known as the zz plant, is a gorgeous upright plant that is actually impossible to kill. They favor shade/partial light so keep them away from the window. They retain moisture in their stems and do not like to be overwatered. Water them every 2-3 weeks and plant them in a pot with plenty of drainage holes. If you forget to water the plant, it will tell you by dropping some of the leaves to retain moisture.

Places to buy plants in Athens

Hyacinth Bean Florist has an amazing selection of houseplants and hosts cute cats looking for homes. They are located at 540 W. Union St. and are open 9-4 Monday through Friday and 10-2 Saturday. If you are looking for a scenic view while shopping for plants check out White’s Mill. The mill was opened in 1809 on the Hocking River and is located at 2 White’s Mill Dr. Also check out Facebook Marketplace, Lowes and Walmart for other plant options.

Maggiepalma01

mp359120@ohio.edu