She-Hulk and Wong in “She-Hulk” episode three, now streaming on Disney+ (Photo provided via @JessePena108).

TV Review: She-Hulk’s third episode solidifies its strong foundations

Though its premiere was somewhat weak, the second episode helped the series establish its identity in the MCU. The People vs. Emil Blonsky, doubles down on last week’s silliness, paving the way for “She-Hulk” to satirize the MCU from within. This series is proving to be a great tool in the universe’s arsenal to self-evaluate and to see if the law in their universe is as slow to update as in the actual U.S. (spoiler: it is).

This series is just fun, it isn’t necessarily trying to be anything else, which is completely okay. The constant winks, nods and comments to the audience and intentional breaking of the fourth wall are an interesting addition that really sets this series apart from every other MCU project. Sure, we’ve had “Deadpool” around for several years now, but he’s not MCU cannon, at least not yet. With how generous this series is with its cameos, maybe he’ll show up. Who knows?

Episode three of “She-Hulk” marks the first time we see the titular hero fight, this time in court. She’s representing Abomination (Tim Roth), as he attempts to gain an early release from prison, despite his escape efforts going public. This forces Jennifer Walters (Tatiana Maslany) to approach a familiar sorcerer who might be able to shift the narrative in her favor.

Despite the series’ claims that it isn’t one of those shows that will have a cameo every week, this episode seems to confirm the opposite. With Mark Ruffalo appearing in the first episode, Tim Roth in the second, Benedict Wong in the third and Charlie Cox’s Daredevil already confirmed to appear once or twice, a weekly cameo can be expected. There’s another cameo this week that I will not spoil, but Twitter has already exploded over it, so you probably already know about it if you’re terminally online, like me. This cameo, wow. It results in what is probably one of the best post-credits scenes the MCU has ever had; it’s at least up there with the best.

This series is a blast even without the cameos because of its strong comedic writing. Seriously, “She-Hulk” doesn’t need the cameos to be this fun. There are genuinely hilarious moments and lines this week, but, of course, not everything hits. There are a few stinkers in there, but those are mostly due to weird timing or delivery, not the actual joke itself. 

Ginger Gonzaga’s Nikki finally gets a chance to shine her comedic chops and the same can be said for Pug (Josh Segarra), who was introduced last week. Even a smaller character, like the endlessly-punchable DA Bukowski (Drew Matthews), is given great comedic beats throughout the episode. Hell, the show even finds time to take a jab at the insecure men petitioning the show that I mentioned last week, which is greatly appreciated. 

Something that isn’t super appreciated is the extremely forced fight scene towards the end of the episode. It lasts for maybe thirty seconds, but it’s poorly put together. The shots are wonky, and the editing is a bit too quick to get a sense of what’s going on. It’s an ongoing struggle that the series has faced since its first episode. Director Kay Coiro really needs to step up her game in this department, as she’s tapped to direct three future episodes of the series, including the finale.

The thing is, that fight scene had to be there. As of now, that putrid scene is the only narrative thread that’s left hanging for the next episode. Outside of that, there’s Jameela Jamil’s Titania that’s due to return, but she hasn’t been seen or mentioned (at least prominently) since the premiere. Sure, a few things could happen, like more info on what the Hulk is up to and whatever case(s) Pug has to deal with, but those won’t be the main focuses going forward. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see him again this season.

Honestly, there isn’t a lot to say about “She-Hulk” this week that hasn’t already been mentioned. It’s just super fun, extremely self-aware, almost always comical, and still finding its stride. I can’t wait to see where the series goes from here, especially since it’s teasing a larger threat that She-Hulk will have to confront. While I’m not watching the show for the action, I’m still curious to see what they come up with in terms of who she fights and how it’s shot. The series has struggled to make interesting, or even competent, fight scenes so far. Regardless, “She-Hulk” is an easy recommendation for those that already love the MCU or want something lighter in tone to chill and enjoy.

@zachj7800

zj716018@ohio.edu