Ohio University Sophomore, Bodhi Littlefield (4) defends the ball from an Appalachian State player at Pruitt Field on October 28, 2022.

Field Hockey: Ohio came close to making the Mid-American Conference Tournament, falling just short

In sports movies, there is always a plot device that makes it so the main character’s team needs one more win to make the playoffs. Most of these movies are loosely based on real-life events, and very rarely do these movies mirror actuality. On Friday, Ohio found itself unable to write the happy ending its season required. 

Watching Ohio’s match against Appalachian State, one could say that both teams deserved to move on to the postseason. The only problem was that there were three teams vying for a pair of spots in the Mid-American Conference Tournament. Appalachian State and Ohio played one of the best matches of the season, but one team had to lose. Potentially compounding the heartbreak, Ball State, Ohio’s other competitor for postseason play, lost to Miami, who it will play again in the conference semifinals next week. 

The Bobcats’ 2-1 loss Friday was not the lone reason for disappointment. They were so close in numerous facets of the season, making the loss harder to swallow. The Bobcats proved they could play with the conference’s elite teams like Miami, Kent State and most recently, Appalachian State, although they could not push past them.

Ohio’s main motivation this season was to make it back to Oxford, Ohio, to play Miami or Kent State again, as the two teams have haunted Ohio in recent years. However, that focus might have done more harm than help, as beating the conference’s elite in the regular season was overlooked. A month later, the loss to Kent State still stings as a victory would have not only put Ohio in the postseason, but may have changed the trajectory of the season as a whole. 

Regardless, worrying over past results is far from productive. It is very reasonable for the Bobcats to mourn this loss. The entire ending to the season and, in some cases, collegiate careers is a tough loss. 

Despite the disappointments, there were small victories during the season. Ohio’s hot start demonstrated it was capable of beating unfamiliar teams like California and Davidson.

The Bobcats’ roster is incredibly young and may return almost every impact player besides Lucy Davis and Nele Graner. The Bobcats’ future looks bright thanks to their young core. The experience they gained this season will be beneficial.

The main lingering thought for Ohio is where it goes from here. It is on the precipice of potentially becoming one of the MAC’s best teams, but the question of how exactly the team is supposed to do so is confounding. The most puzzling part of the ending is that there is not a single culprit for why they lose certain matches. In some, the team was simply outplayed and victims of circumstance. 

In all likelihood, the Bobcats will be right back to their winning ways in their next season. Every team has to experience the heartbreak of losing in agonizing fashion before taking the next step. In basketball, Michael Jordan and the Bulls had to overcome the Pistons in order to become champions. In football, Patrick Mahomes had to beat Tom Brady to get to the Super Bowl. Maybe the Bobcats have to slay their dragons in order to reach the next steps as a program. 

@mbgoldstein1107

mg126321@ohio.edu