Athens High School football team plays against Vinton County, at Joe Burrow Stadium, in Athens Ohio, on Sept. 17, 2022.

Athens Football: Bulldogs win second straight on Senior Night

Riding the momentum of its first win of the season and the magic of Senior Night, Athens picked up its second straight win in its final game at Joe Burrow Stadium this year, defeating River Valley 46-7.

Athens took control from the opening seconds of the game, as junior Marcus Stevers started the scoring with an 84-yard kick return touchdown on the game's very first play. 

After the statement play, the scoring was led completely by senior Luke Brandes. The fourth-year running back went for four rushing touchdowns in the first half alone. 

"It's a really good feeling," Brandes said. "Considering we haven't had the best season so far, it's nice to string two victories in a row, especially on senior night."

Brandes ended the game with a Senior Night to remember, piling up 112 rushing yards and four touchdowns on just 17 carries.

Brandes had to step up this game as the Bulldogs were on their fourth-string quarterback. Sophomore Kaiden Bycofski had to fill in after regular starter Braeden Young was suspended and senior Landon Wheatley unexpectedly left the team. 

"The word of the year has been adversity," head coach Nathan White said. "Our kids don't even bat an eye at this point. When something weird happens, the next guy steps up and does the best he can, and that's all we asked of him. I was really proud of Kaiden."

Bycofski put together a solid performance in his first game as a starter. The sophomore quarterback completed 12 passes for 141 yards and threw for one touchdown. 

The defense also played a great game again, holding River Valley to only seven points and coming down with four turnovers that set the offense up for success with great field positioning. 

With the year's final home game comes a bittersweet ending for the seniors' tenure with the Bulldogs. 

"It's always tough. We don't have a big group of seniors, but, man when they're with you for four years, they feel like your son and your little brother, and you love them," White said. "It's bittersweet; it's great to see them win on senior night. It's crazy for me to think that in one more week they're not going to be on our team anymore. So they've meant a whole lot to this program and we're really proud of them. Glad we could get them a win tonight."

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu