Evan Adams, (no. 21) of Athens High School, goes to complete a run in the late stages of the game against Parkersburg South. Adams had four touchdowns on the night and was the main contributor to the Bulldogs' 26-16 victory over the Parkersburg South Patriots. (FILE)

Athens Football: Athens crushes Wellston 46-0 for first win

After starting the season 0-7, Athens picked up a statement win against Wellston Friday night, winning 46-0. 

“Our kids needed it. Our coaching staff needed it. Everybody who supports the program needed this one tonight,” head coach Nathan White said. “You know, I keep telling our kids you haven't seen it on Friday nights, but we're getting better every day.” 

On the very first drive of the game, the Bulldog offense played flawlessly, marching down and putting up their first touchdown on a Marcus Stevers reception from quarterback Braeden Young. 

The first half was about as lopsided as they come. Athens scored three touchdowns in the first quarter alone, tying the most touchdowns it has scored in a game all season. At the end of the first half, Athens had scored seven touchdowns. 

“We played together,” White said. “We had a ton of energy. A bunch of different guys make plays and be very positive with each other. It was just a really good night for the program."

The connection between Young and Stevers was what propelled the Bulldogs out to a commanding lead. The two connected for three touchdowns in the first half, putting the game out of reach for the Golden Rockets. 

After a three-interception performance last week, Young bounced back with his best game of the year. The young quarterback threw for four touchdowns and rushed for two touchdowns on his own. 

With two difficult games left on the schedule, Athens will be looking to bottle this momentum into next week as it tries to pick up back-to-back wins in the home stretch of the year. 

“Every week in high school football is a new season,” said White. “You get a new game every Friday night so as coaches we'll go to work tomorrow and game plan and I have no doubt our kids will be ready to roll on Monday and hopefully we can keep this positive momentum going.” 

@robertkeegan_

bk272121@ohio.edu