The best creepy video essays to watch on Youtube

It’s easy to get bored with horror movies that rehash the same stories and plot devices over and over again, leaving the viewer to wonder whether or not there’s something else out there. Enter video essays, pieces of content exploring things like online horror, unsolved mysteries and everything in between that lies within the great unknown. The best part about them, though, is that they are free to watch on Youtube, making them a low-cost alternative to the same scary movie over and over again. 

Searching For the Five- Nexpo

In 1978, five men set out for a basketball game at CSU Chico, about 50 miles away from home. However, they never returned. Rather, a series of mysterious events led to them veering off course and into the Plumas National Forest, where their car was found a few days later with no sign of the men. Since then, what actually happened to the men, known as the Yuba County Five is unknown, but the source of both interest and speculation, as portrayed in this video essay.

Exploring the @gr3gory88 Creepy Twitter Account- Reignbot

In mid-2018, a Twitter user by the name of gr3gory88 popped up and began posting about his grandfather’s death, specifically regarding the fact that he inherited a large sum of his property. However, upon reaching the rural area, strange things began to happen around him. The people in the town acted peculiarly, mysterious artifacts appeared around his house, and a woman with no eyes seemed to be stalking him. The video covers the horror story from start to finish, adding a layer of intrigue along the way.

The Khamar Daban Incident- Nick Crowley

Fans of unsolved mysteries and strange phenomena may be familiar with the Dyatlov Pass incident, in which a group of hikers was found dead in the Russian mountains under unknown circumstances. However, a similar incident took place and left a survivor. In August of 1993, a group of kayakers found 17-year-old Valentina Utochenko on a riverbank, hysterical and covered in dirt and dried blood. 

They helped her get to safety, and Valentina began to recount a horrifying story, in which the group of hikers she was with all died in visceral ways within minutes of each other, leaving her as the sole survivor. To this day, there is no clear answer as to what happened, but this video essay explains both the incident and the theories surrounding it. 

The Unexplainable Disappearances of Missing 411- Wendigoon

There is a strange connection between missing persons cases and the national park system. All share similar details: adverse conditions, the search dogs acting strangely, disappearances in geographic clusters and in the cases of those that are found, the victim being found miles away from where they vanished with no memory of how they got there, much too far for them to travel in the period between their disappearance and when they are found. As a result, theories ranging from the realistic to the fantastic have cropped up surrounding the phenomena, and some of those countless cases and theories are covered in this video essay.

@alicia_szcz

as589820@ohio.edu