Fresh Finds Friday: Smino teams up with J.Cole on “90 Proof,” Paramore returns after four-year-hiatus

As week seven comes to a close, Bobcats are looking forward to a lesser workload. With that being said, it's always good to listen to some new tunes throughout the week and going into the weekend. This past week, Paramore, Smino and others have dropped new music. Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

“This Is Why” by Paramore

Paramore takes a moment to shake off their four-year hiatus with "This Is Why." If you've been staying up to date with the world's events, you'll know that the world has been in a pretty unstable state and constant horror, and it's time to stay in the house, says Paramore with lyrics: "This is why I don't leave the house/ But you won't catch me out Oh, why? This is why." In more depth, the song explores some of Hayley's challenges as the frontwoman of a world-famous band, including the constant pressure of the public eye and personal issues with broadcast publicity, according to a genius report.

“Entergalactic” by Kid Cudi

Kid Cudi returns with his new project, “Entergalactic,” a visual album for the new Netflix special of the same name, which features actors such as Jessica William, Laura Harrier, Timothee Chalamet and others. “I always wanted to do a visual album, but that’s been done before. I really had to kind of take a step back of something new, and fresh Entergalactic was the perfect formula,” said Cudi about the project. Entergalactic album is available now on Spotify, and the show is also available to stream on Netflix.

“uh oh” by Tate McRae

Singer/songwriter and TikTok star Tate McRae released her first fresh track since the release of her debut album landed in May. McRae’s said “uh oh” is “so different from all [her] other songs, and that’s what makes me so excited about it.” Specifically, however, her new song “uh oh” talks about the romantic feelings you get from constantly going back to someone and the rushes of ecstasy that goes along with it.  

“Cool It Down” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are the American Indie rock band behind the all-time classic song “Heads Will Roll.” Now they have returned, with their fifth studio album to date, “Cool It Down.” It’s their first album since 2013’s “Mosquito,” however, it brings back the staggering drums and blown-out guitars that evoke the chaos most of their music resonates with while mitigating the damage that has been done by past generations. A portion of the vinyl sales of the record will go to environmental law charity Client earth, according to a Rolling Stone report.

“90 Proof” by Smino, J.Cole

The last time Smino accompanied J.Cole was with EarthGang on “Sacrifices.” Now, they team up again for their new record, “90 Proof.” The latest single from Smino’s long-awaited third album is “Luv 4 Rent.” Smino focuses his bars on the central meditation of this struggle of giving up things for love, a relationship of getting high and drinking 90 Proof to cope with vices. The lyrics, “I’m getting used to being loved, girl the right way”/ It’s the ninety proof, I hide behind the faders.” 

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu