The darkness of the series coupled with the cartoonish nature create a perfect blend for both a Halloween classic and an autumnal must-watch (Photo provided via movieweb.com).

Looking back on ‘Over The Garden Wall’

Created by Patrick McHale and released in November of 2014, "Over the Garden Wall" quickly carved a niche for itself amongst audiences young and old. The catchy songs, zany characters and silly jokes land well amongst younger audiences, but there is still something for adults, too. Morbid themes, a whimsical yet beautiful aesthetic and the nostalgic atmosphere harkening back to autumns of the past really hit home for older audiences. 

The story follows two brothers, the angsty and reserved Wirt and his bubbly younger brother Greg. The boys become lost in a mysterious place called The Unknown and spend the series searching for a way out. They meet all sorts of strange characters, such as Beatrice the talking bluebird, Fred the talking horse and a frog with a name that changes quite literally every episode. However, not all of the characters are as friendly. As the boys traverse The Unknown, they also face the looming threat of The Beast, a dark, mysterious figure that all residents of The Unknown live in constant fear of. 

However, these characters, coupled with a New England postcard-esque art style, evoke a sense of nostalgia in the viewer. The images of harvests, changing leaves and the vignetted shots of the outdoors remind the viewer of an oddly specific feeling that only comes in autumn.

Furthermore, the soundtrack aligns with the style of the series perfectly. Folk-tune-style songs that sound like they could be off of your grandpa's radio, coupled with gorgeous string arrangements and dramatic choral songs, make up the backdrop of the series, whilst songs sung by the characters serve as the whimsical forefront. 

This is much like the show itself; whimsy at the forefront, maturity and complexity in the background. The goofy characters and bizarre side plots keep the show anchored to its childish and cartoony style. On the other hand, the themes of growing up, death and the unknown keep a mature, dark and morbid feel to the show.

For example, the brothers enter a strange town called Pottsfield, a town full of skeletons in pumpkin costumes. While the silliness of a town full of skeletons wearing pumpkin costumes with a cat named Enoch in a comically large pumpkin costume keeps the show geared toward children, the foreboding nature of the episode appeals to adults. The connection of Pottsfield references a potter's field or a graveyard for unknown people, the ominous references to how the boys "weren't ready to join them yet" but "would be back someday," and cultish nature of the town create a dark, uneasy and downright morbid atmosphere. 

Overall, the series's darkness and cartoonish nature create a perfect blend for a Halloween classic and an autumnal must-watch. Furthermore, it's a quick watch, too, with just ten episodes clocking in at around eleven minutes each, making the whole series take about two hours to watch. However, with the genuinely smart and intriguing plotline, the gorgeous art style and the sheer amount of "blink and you'll miss it" details, you might need to plan out some extra time to watch it again. 

@alicia_szcz  

as589820@ohio.edu