Ohio midfielder Konstantina Giannou strikes the ball during the match against Southern Illinois University on Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019. The Bobcats won 7-0

Soccer: Everything to expect for Ohio’s weekend matches

Ohio is coming off two tough games against Mid-American Conference opponents this past week and will look to rebound against two more. Ohio stays on the road Thursday against Central Michigan, before returning home to face Ball State. This week will give Ohio a chance to bounce back in hopes of making the MAC tournament.

Here is everything you need to know about Ohio’s weekend matchups:

Thursday Match Information

Opponent: Central Michigan

Venue: CMU Soccer Complex (Mount Pleasant, MI)

Time: 6 p.m.

Opponent Notes

- Central Michigan comes into the match 2-8-3 overall, with a 1-3-2 MAC record.

- Central Michigan is 9-2 against Ohio going back to 2010, with the most recent match ending 3-2 in extra time in its favor last season.

- The Chippewas have been shutout seven times this season and averaged just 0.69 goals per game, so the Bobcats will look to capitalize on that low offensive production to improve back to .500 in the MAC standings. 

Player to watch

Sophomore midfielder Ashley Scesniak leads Central Michigan in assists with four and is tied for the team lead in goals with two. Ohio’s defense will have to pay close attention to her wherever she is on the pitch.

Sunday Match Information

Opponent: Ball State

Venue: Chessa Field

Time: 1 p.m.

Opponent Notes

- Ball State has an overall record of 5-4-4, with a 4-1-1 record in MAC play.

- Ball State has a 4-4-3 record against Ohio dating back to 2010. The last match between these schools ended 0-0 in extra time last year.

- Ball State has won four of its last five matches against MAC opponents. Ohio will have a chance to earn a quality win against one of the best teams in its division. 

Player to watch: Junior midfielder Avery Fenchel is second in the MAC in both goals, with 10, and total points, with 20. She is the focal point of a high scoring Ball State offense and should be a priority in Ohio’s gameplan.

Notes on Ohio

- Ohio will look to rebound defensively after conceding four goals to Bowling Green Sunday.

- Graduate student Abby Townsend is nearing the Ohio program record for assists, which currently sits at 31, and needs just three more assists to break it.

- Goalkeepers Sam Wexell and Celeste Sloma split time evenly in net during their previous match. It will be interesting to see who Ohio coach Aaron Rodgers decides to stick with.

Player to watch

With only three matches remaining in the regular season after this weekend and currently holding the team lead in assists with eight, look for Townsend to make a serious record push in the coming contests.

bw327020@ohio.edu