Abby Townsend (16) fights a defender for the ball during the Ohio versus Northern Illinois match at Chessa Field on Oct. 6, 2022.

Soccer: Ohio victory over Akron clinches MAC Tournament berth

Ohio (10-6-2, 6-4-1 Mid-American Conference) traveled to Akron (3-9-4, 2-7-2 MAC) for its final regular season match Thursday. The match for Ohio was a must-win, as it was placed sixth in the MAC standings before the match.

In the new MAC tournament bracket system, implemented after the 2020 pandemic-shortened season, the number of teams that make the tournament was reduced from eight down to six. Ohio entered the match on a two-match win streak, knowing the season was hanging in the balance. 

Both teams started the match out defensively, only attempting 3 shots each in the first half. Ohio goalie Sam Wexell easily saved the only shot on target of the half, preventing trouble early while Ohio was trying to find a breakthrough. 

That breakthrough finally came in the second half, when Eve Berish scored the first goal of the match, giving Ohio a 1-0 lead in the 63rd minute. The goal was Berish’s first since conference play started, and just her second of the season, with the other goal coming against Virginia Military Institute.

Berish would continue to be the focal point of Ohio’s offense, as in the 70th minute, she received the ball from Abby Townsend and found the net once again, bringing Ohio’s lead to 2-0. Akron, in an attempt to end their season on a better note, managed to take seven shots in the last 20 minutes, but none were on target.

Akron outshot Ohio throughout the game, with 13 shots to Ohio’s seven, but Ohio had four on target to Akron’s three. This game was Akron’s first scoreless game since Oct. 6 against Bowling Green.

Ohio, with the victory over Akron, is now placed fourth in the MAC and will play No. 5 Miami in the first round of the single elimination tournament. The game will be held in Athens.

Townsend, with her assist in the game, now has 31 career assists, equaling the record set by Kendra Hornschemeier in 2004. Hornschemeier was a part of the 2002 Ohio team, which was the last time Ohio made it to the MAC championship game.

dp680718@ohio.edu